Author Topic: How does this work?  (Read 156 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How does this work?
« on: Monday 20 July 20 10:40 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother Elizabeth Annetts had a sister Harriett. Harriett married Harry Maccabee (later generations changed surname to McCabe). One of their children married May Cuff(e). I have DNA match at 62/5 to O.G. who is descended through this McCabe/ Cuff line. Paper trail confirms OG  is my 3C1R. He is great grandson of May Cuff.
Today I found a match at 8/1 to EW, our shared match is OG. Looking at EW's tree, they are descended from an Elizabeth Cuff, sister of May.  EW is the grandson of Elizabeth Cuff.
If Elizabeth had had a relationship with her brother in law McCabe, EW would be my 3rd cousin (no removeds) and the match would be much greater than 8, (closer relationship to me than OG).
Does this mean I am also related to the Cuffs? Could one of the segments in my 5 segment match to OG be a Cuff segment?   
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Scott, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott
Essex/Herts: Livermore, Holgate, Law, Day, Myson, Boyton
Norfolk/Suffolk: Stone, Alexander, Tipple, Ingate

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: How does this work?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 20 12:01 BST (UK) »
The mutual match is the generation above
The Cuff sisters would still have grandparents in common on their mothers side
That is the parents oy your great grandmother and Harriet
That would explain the more distant relation without you having any.biological relationship to harry macabee only thru his wifes parents

Do you agree ?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid MCDERMID McDiarmid Gardner Jones ,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson ,McKay

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How does this work?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 July 20 13:21 BST (UK) »
I have no known relationship to either of the Cuff sisters.  I have an ancestor in common with the husband of one of them. The Cuffs are from South Dorset and the Annetts / Maccabee link is my father's line and from Berkshire.

But since finding that shared ancestor this morning, I have found a few more links to Cuffs from the same area, not going through these two sisters or their siblings, but other lines going back to the same common Cuff. And this is the same area that my mother's paternal line came from. So it's looking a possibility that I have a distant link to the Cuffs.

This would make sense as EW and I share OG through the Cuffs, but EW and I don't share any other Annetts, because EW isn't connected to the Annetts directly only through great uncle by marriage. I have a lot of shared Annetts, they were prolific and it seems like so many of them are interested in genealogy - maybe Ancestry gave them a bulk discount on tests.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Scott, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott
Essex/Herts: Livermore, Holgate, Law, Day, Myson, Boyton
Norfolk/Suffolk: Stone, Alexander, Tipple, Ingate