Author Topic: Insecure site login problems  (Read 734 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Insecure site login problems
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 July 20 14:49 BST (UK) »
I've been right through the link sent by KGarrad and despite following the instructions and ticking the box to install TLS 1.2  (twice actually, logging off and restarting each time) I am still getting the same old insecure instructions. 
stanmapstone - if I take the (insecure) path you mentioned, I have to do this every single time I open a new page, as tillypeg and Maiden Stone have mentioned.  It's very frustrating and time consuming.
Am handing over now to my husband, who has more experience and more patience than I have. :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 July 20 14:55 BST (UK) »
I changed my version of Firefox some months ago.
I no longer get error messages relating to TLS versions?

Mozilla reverted the disabling of TLS 1.0 due to the pandemic which might be why Firefox users don't see the messages or the user has simply manually re-enabled TLS 1.0.

Firefox 74.0, See All New Features, Updates and Fixes
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/74.0/releasenotes
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 July 20 14:59 BST (UK) »
The major browsers developers announced in 2018 that they would be first disabling, then removing, TLS 1.0, starting in March 2020. That's now coming into play and TLS 1.0 is being disabled in the latest versions of various browsers, hence people's problems trying to connect to websites that still use TLS 1.0

Ars Technica > Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Mozilla come together to end TLS 1.0
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/browser-vendors-unite-to-end-support-for-20-year-old-tls-1-0/
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 July 20 15:04 BST (UK) »
I've been right through the link sent by KGarrad and despite following the instructions and ticking the box to install TLS 1.2  (twice actually, logging off and restarting each time) I am still getting the same old insecure instructions. 
stanmapstone - if I take the (insecure) path you mentioned, I have to do this every single time I open a new page, as tillypeg and Maiden Stone have mentioned.  It's very frustrating and time consuming.
Am handing over now to my husband, who has more experience and more patience than I have. :-\

Snap. TLS 1.2 is enabled on my machine and I still get all the messages about an insecure site.

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 July 20 15:10 BST (UK) »
The messages say that it's the WEBSITE that is using the outdated TLS protocols, not your browser, so changing your browser settings will not stop the messages.

Michael.

Added: see reply 7, which explains it rather better than my attempt.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 July 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
If this is so, then is it something that Trystan can help with? ???
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 July 20 15:25 BST (UK) »
There are a lot of other threads on the same topic, many of which have been posted in the last few days.

Sarah has directed people to this thread:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=834640.msg6996709#msg6996709
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk