Author Topic: William J and Lucy (Happency) Connor of New Jersey  (Read 511 times)

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William J and Lucy (Happency) Connor of New Jersey
« on: Monday 20 July 20 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am researching a cousin on my mother's side of the family by the name of William J Connor (O'Connor) who was born in 1904 in Indianapolis but went on to live in New Jersey as an adult.

He married a Lucy Happency (not sure if this is the right spelling of the name) in 1933 and they lived in Jersey City on a street called Highland Avenue.

William was an accountant and eventually owned a business called Wico Products Co. (although not sure what type of business that was) with an office on Journal Square in Jersey City.

He died in 1981 and Lucy died aged 99 in 2004.

I can't find any record of them having children at any time, but just wondered if anyone out there might have a connection to the family or know more about them.

Many thanks.

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William J and Lucy (Happency) Connor of New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 20 18:30 BST (UK) »
Lucy H Connor shows up in US Public Records after a search for her on familysearch.org.
one of the results suggests a possible female relative:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVM3-D9N2

searching for that person's name shows that she was born in 1945, so she may be a daughter:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KGBM-WDK

------------
Do you know if both William and Lucy died in Jersey City? It might help other rootschatters to find their obituary. I didn't find one by Googling.

----------
I didn't figure out what Wico Products did, but there was a William Connor in Jersey City in 1930 who was an accountant

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 July 20 18:34 BST (UK) »

I didn't figure out what Wico Products did, but there was a William Connor in Jersey City in 1930 who was an accountant
That man was born in Indiana, age 28, single, and employed as an accountant in the banking industry. Parents were born in Ireland. living at 305 Academy Street.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 July 20 18:48 BST (UK) »
A few titbits

Wico Products

Jersey Journal
Jersey City, New Jersey
January 19, 1940

==============

Candidates Ninth Ward

Jersey Journal
Jersey City, New Jersey
March 14, 1950

====

Correction of address

Jersey Journal
Jersey City, New Jersey
March 44, 1950

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 July 20 19:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all replies!  Brilliant information for me to follow up; some I'm already aware of but quite a lot of new stuff there, so thank you very much.

To Oldohiohome, yes they did apparently both die in Jersey City, according to Ancestry records, and that new name of a potential relative is new to me and something I will follow up.  The addresses on those Family Search records certainly seem to fit with the information I have already.

To RJ137, those cuttings you've sent me are fascinating - never seen any of that before. So where did you get that information from?  Is it on Ancestry or one of the other genealogy sites?  Are there any follow up records I could pursue from there?

I subscribe to several research sites but I'm based in England so wondered if some of the information might be local to residents of New Jersey.

Regards
Runner 55

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 July 20 20:07 BST (UK) »
They were married Thursday 28, April 1933.

Jersey Journal
Jersey City, New Jersey
May 3, 1933

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 July 20 21:15 BST (UK) »
Lucy H Connor shows up in US Public Records after a search for her on familysearch.org.
one of the results suggests a possible female relative:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVM3-D9N2

searching for that person's name shows that she was born in 1945, so she may be a daughter:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KGBM-WDK

The possible female relative mentioned, C.B.C.,  graduated from the Academy of St Aloysius, 14 June 1962.

The Academy of St. Aloysius was a private high school for girls located in Jersey City, New Jersey,

Jersey Journal
Jersey City, New Jersey
June 14, 1962

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 July 20 22:36 BST (UK) »
William was at 305 Academy St, Jersey City, and he ran for office from that address in 1950.

In 1930, there were a page full of people at that address. All were renting, as far as I can see. So it must have been a large apartment building or rooming house.

In 1940, there were three households at that address. All those listed as head of household were renting. I didn't find William J Connor at that address. There was an:

Edward Conner, lodger, 42, born in New York, married but living apart from his wife, 3 years of high school, lived in Jersey City in 1935, was a salesman of mill supplies, worked 52 weeks last year for $1800, worked 35 hours last week

The other people included a public accountant. Was he a business acquaintance of William? Here are the others I found:

Raymond J Solerie, head, marine engineer
Henry E Davies, head, marine engineer
John Fortes Zimmerman, head, 26, public accountant, accounting
other lodgers: Lawrence Aiken, Betrice Cahill, John F Sweeney, Constance Sweeney,

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-899M-Q3CS?i=33&wc=QZFM-571%3A790103901%2C798562001%2C800080501%2C800092501&cc=2000219

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 July 20 22:40 BST (UK) »
Ah, but when he registered for the draft in 1942 he was at 156 Highland Ave, Jersey City. I will look for that address.
I trust you have that, since you knew about Wico Products. Let me know if you don't have it.