Author Topic: Somewhere in Germany c1930?  (Read 332 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Somewhere in Germany c1930?
« on: Monday 20 July 20 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm curious to know the location of this photo.  It is labelled on the back, but I can't quite make out the name.  I think the first word ends in "tag" and there are a couple of other photos from the same envelope taken in Germany in 1930.

Regards,
Gilby

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhere in Germany c1930?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 20 21:48 BST (UK) »
Here's the back.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 11:13 BST (UK) »
The first word is Donnerstag (Thursday), then I think it's Vormttg, which I take to be an abbreviation of Vormittag (morning). The clock appears to be showing 10.35, which would fit with that.

So no location, I'm afraid. It looks to be a fairly grand place, but I doubt there's enough in the picture to identify it. There's a small sign with Cigarren (cigars) on it, and a larger one behind which I can't make out, which might possibly give a clue. Otherwise you might need to look into Mr Wedel, who he was and where he worked etc.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 20:43 BST (UK) »
Ah!  So it’s not the place.

I’m not sure about Mr Wedel, but the other two photos I have taken in Germany were inside and outside the apartment of the Ostersetzers.  Herr Ostersetzer was an agent for my family’s business, and it seems he may have lived in Hamburg.

The city was badly damaged during the war, so I’m sure it has changed greatly, but from looking at the maps I wonder if we could be somewhere along the Holstenwall?

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 July 20 13:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry - you're going to need someone else on this. I'm not bad on UK places and can sometimes find major landmarks elsewhere, but all I can get from this is that the street and buildings seem the right kind of scale for a major city, and there's something that looks like a park across the road on the right.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 July 20 13:52 BST (UK) »
That's fine, thanks.  I was just curious to know where it was - it's not critical.  :P