Author Topic: Diary > Monday 20th July  (Read 472 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 20th July
« on: Monday 20 July 20 23:48 BST (UK) »
Woke reasonably early, was aware that I'd been restless, don't know why. Bright start to the day. Got a text from my friend J asking if I was up for a walk tonight or tomorrow. Yes I was! Arranged to meet tonight.

Still went for my daily walk around the field and the woods at about midday. After lunch the postie arrived with the expanding trellises I'd ordered when the first ones hadn't arrived. They seem to be much better quality but was unable to do anything with them at the moment because I would need to hammer some nails in the fence and NN was hanging around. Here's hoping she gets herself out somewhere soon so I can get on with things. Also arrived were the two packets of seeds I'd ordered just a few days ago, Thrift (sea pinks) and Sea Holly. Was going to sow thme but when I read the instructions the Thrift had to be soaked in hand hot water for two days and the Sea Holly should be sown later in the year for planting next year. Put the Thrift in hand hot water as instructed, tiniest seeds I've ever seen, it also said I should change the water every 12 hours but I'm not going out there at midnight! A bit of general tidying in the garden, it was clouding over, rained about 4pm when I was indoors.

Did some ironing, had arranged to meet my friend J at 5.30. At 5pm it rained again, we had a text discussion, decided to see how things were at six as various weather forecasts said different things. We did actually meet up, it didn't rain when we were out or later. Had a long walk, ended up along the coast road, different route back. Really enjoyed it, it made me happy.

Chicken in pasta sauce that I'd had in the freezer, had the last glass of wine from the bottle Purely to make room in the fridge of course.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 20th July
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 00:44 BST (UK) »
Great to hear you managed to meet up with your friend J and not to get wet either! Always lifts the spirits when you can get out... ridiculous isn't t it to think we can get excited about going for a walk instead of just texting/calling to say do you fancy meeting for a coffee! Be nice if those days were to return!
Good to hear your new trellis is better than you thought... bet you were dying to get out and on with it.... hopefully NN will go out tomorrow so you can get on with the job in hand... hope you have better luck with your soaked seeds ( that's a new one on me) than I've had so far with my mango seed... OH says I should talk to it....really!

My diary

Had a good sleep and woke at a sensible time, the sun was shining so up and got sheets off OH's bed and in the washing machine like grease lightening!
After breakfast had a bit of a hoover round.... don't know where all the insects come from that die in the conservatory but there are always so many in there!
Did the rest of the ironing...
OH off to play golf so after finished ironing guess what I did... yes you got it...
Face coverings! Messaged admin girl we arranged I'd meet her hubbie in next village at 6.30 so got plenty of time to continue sewing...
Pity really as should have been gardening but a commitment is a commitment...
Decided I'd call it a day at 5pm as needed to press and bag them up... final total was 75 so hopefully she'll be pleased with that.
OH home... decided to get something out of the freezer as didn't have time to cook before meeting to drop goods off..
Swapped coverings for more fabric, list of what's needed in which fabric and 100metres of elastic... think that might keep me going for a while! Still got some Id cut out from before in all the pretty colours so doing them next!
Picked some vegs... now got 8 courgettes... think I'll have to make courgette and pecan cake... more lovely runner beans and some beetroot that I cooked in oven ready to pickle.
Watched Devon & Cornwall, the new Repair Shop , Newsnight and so to bed.

Not a terribly exciting day but got things done!

Hope others enjoyed the day... we seem to have been luckier with our weather as it's been sunny all day.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 01:11 BST (UK) »
A good day for me too - all to do with sunshine that greeted me when I pulled back the curtains I'm sure.   Pottered around, as you do, and at 3pm set off for B & M.   Before entering the store I donned my mask, grabbed a trolley and sanitised the handle with sanitiser I had in my bag.    Used the stores again on my hands when I entered.   Quite a few people in there but all keeping their distance although most were not wearing masks.   Couldn't get the paint for the fence.  Had every shade but the one I wanted.   3 other stores in/around Ipswich so will try another one later in the week.   Was able to get a stock of birthday cards which I sorely needed.    Still sunny when I got back and decided to sit outside for a while.   Not long after another resident came out and offered me a glass of rose wine.   We sat chatting until his wife got home from work.   She joined us outside and then large clouds appeared in the sky and the periods of sun got less and less and felt a bit chilly when it disappeared.   We decided it was best to go indoors plus I needed to have my meal earlier as my nephew was coming to hopefully fix my PC.

Simon arrived 8pm and swiftly got to work.   I watched, as usual, in awe.   He flicks from one thing to another on screens I've not seen before.  He confirmed that both problems were as a result of the updates done on Friday night so I was right about the cause.   Anyway, and I've just touched wood, things seem okay again now.   He also connected the new keyboard I've had for quite a while (as a spare) as figures were beginning to disappear on my current one. Whilst he was here I asked if he could fit a new fluorescent tube in my kitchen.   Got one before lockdown but not able to fit myself and, of course, no-one was allowed to cross my threshold.   I've been using a lamp in the kitchen which had a bright bulb so no major hardship really - took him no time at all and once again we had light!   

Hunter's Chicken and Lemon cheesecake tonight and after Simon had gone home I treated myself to a glass of white wine on a job/jobs well done (by Simon of course). 

Knew I would be missing Long Lost Family but Simon left around 9.50pm so I waited 10 minutes and watched it on ITV+1.

A little soduko and now Rootschat to complete my day.  Glad you've had good days too, Roobarb and Caroline.

Night, night!

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 07:06 BST (UK) »
Annette - Good to hear you had a good day, the sun shining does make all the difference that's for sure.
Well done for breaking the ice and venturing into the shop, pity they didn't have what you needed.
Lovely for you see your nephew and he was able to fix your computer and your kitchen light.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 08:15 BST (UK) »
Good to know everyone so far had +ve Mondays; even feeling a bit cheerful. Hurrah. :D
DIARY: A beautiful morning to wake up to.  Took a long convoluted walk to town to post a letter, and activate PIN on new bank card I have been sent, added to the one that I managed to get at the end of June... so now I have 2. So much for technology. Bonkers!  After lunch met up with the dance group for a walk in a local country park. 8 of us which is a record I think!  I hadn't been there for some 20 years, surprising how much it has been altered. The walk was lovely, lots of little birds around and a nut hatch sat on a rail 2 metres from me for several seconds. We went back to one member's garden for tea after. She has a marvellous veg patch, and most of the group were green with envy at the evidence of her amazing green fingers. Walked down around the lakes after tea, but late enough for the wildlife to have gone to bed. Watched an Endeavour repeat after.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 09:55 BST (UK) »
Bit of a boring day as far as reporting goes.  Housework.  Chicken tagine for dinner and I bought extra chicken etc this week and prepped some slowcooker meals for the freezer.  That is chop the chicken, prep whatever marinade and veg etc (eg onions, peppers) in a freezer bag and store it the freezer until the night before I want it.  Pop it in the slow cooker in the morning and I can get on with other housework.  Lazy I know and I'm sure many won't approve.

Some more transcription of the family letters I have. Some of his rants remind me of myself so some amusement in the evening.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 10:06 BST (UK) »
.... store it the freezer until the night before I want it.  Pop it in the slow cooker in the morning and I can get on with other housework.  Lazy I know and I'm sure many won't approve.

Not at all. Actually, I was thinking how efficient and organised you are!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 22:37 BST (UK) »
.... store it the freezer until the night before I want it.  Pop it in the slow cooker in the morning and I can get on with other housework.  Lazy I know and I'm sure many won't approve.

Not at all. Actually, I was thinking how efficient and organised you are!!

Me too, I think it's brilliant PharmaT!

Caroline, you continue to amaze me with the volume of sewing you turn out, it's great that you enjoy something so worthwhile.

Annette, well done on tackling the shop, it sounds like you dealt with it very well. Lovely to have had a chat in the sunshine and great that your nephew sorted things out for you.

Mowsehowse, your walks always sound lovely and so interesting with the different wildlife.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales