Author Topic: Pinning a Website to the Start Menu of Windows 10  (Read 1491 times)

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pinning a Website to the Start Menu of Windows 10
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 10:56 BST (UK) »
Why aren't you just using bookmarks?

Debra  :)
If you pin a shortcut direct to your favourite website(s), it's one click to get to them, whereas using bookmarks/favourites you click once to open the browser and then another to open your bookmark.
Obviously you want to get to Rootschat as quickly as possible  8)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 11:49 BST (UK) »
We use many other sites to help with RC's queries. Hence the bookmarks  8)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 12:57 BST (UK) »
Yes, and when you have Rootschat open (obviously in a browser window) you already have quick access to your bookmarks. But if you want quick, one-click access to RC, for use when you haven't already got your browser open, you could equally pin a shortcut to the task bar. It's what it's there for.
Different people use software in different ways. They (in this case Microsoft) give you the facility to work in a way that is good for you.
I for instance have links on my task bar for various bits of software I use a lot, plus links to half a dozen websites I have found I often go to first (i.e when my browser isn't already open). These include RC, Anc and FindMyPast for family history. I have found that at the moment (it may change) other sites I tend to go to as secondary (i.e. when i am already in my browser) so "bookmarks only" is a sufficient method for those. Each to their own!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 13:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, and when you have Rootschat open (obviously in a browser window) you already have quick access to your bookmarks. But if you want quick, one-click access to RC, for use when you haven't already got your browser open, you could equally pin a shortcut to the task bar. It's what it's there for.
Different people use software in different ways. They (in this case Microsoft) give you the facility to work in a way that is good for you.
I for instance have links on my task bar for various bits of software I use a lot, plus links to half a dozen websites I have found I often go to first (i.e when my browser isn't already open). These include RC, Anc and FindMyPast for family history. I have found that at the moment (it may change) other sites I tend to go to as secondary (i.e. when i am already in my browser) so "bookmarks only" is a sufficient method for those. Each to their own!

Most of us have many interests.

Add - I've worked in or with computing, on and off since the late 1960s, so no lectures thank you.

Also, my task bar is full of quick links but to various facilities that I use across my various activites
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 13:37 BST (UK) »
The idea of a desktop shortcut to a specific page, or something pinned to the Start menu, does kind of ring a bell, but it isn't something I've ever used, and I can't see how to do it now.

I can see something similar with the browser shortcuts that I have pinned to the taskbar: if you right click them, the menu includes a number of sites - Firefox has Frequent; Chrome has Most Visited and Recently Closed. Any of the sites listed can be pinned to that menu - but I don't know if there's a way of pre-selecting sites that you want to pin. If someone could work that out, it might be a suitable alternative for the OP.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

guest189040

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I think I forgot to mention this in the first post. My browser is Microsoft Edge and not Firefox so the suggestions for that browser don't help me. Looking through the options on the menu that drops down from the three dots there is nothing like a "tools" option suggested in the posts for Firefox.

I did look on the "help" section of Edge [located at the bottom of the drop down menu] and according that you should be able to pin a website in the way suggested by locksmith - ie "More Tools" then "pin to start" but I don't have that option on the list when I click "More Tools"

I had to make some changes to the settings on Edge but I don't think that would affect anything. At least they shouldn't.

I have a few ideas on what I might try next but it would be good to know if there's another method.

Matt

Edge works very similar to all other Browsers.

At the top of Edge there is a + sign, click on it and type in the address of the site you want to have on show everytime you Start the Browser.

Click on the + and add the next website.

When you have all the sites you want in their own Tab click on the three dots.

Settings > On Start Up > Open on a specific Page or pages

Select Set to all currently open Tabs.

Then Click on each Tab

Click on three dots and select Favourites

Then select Add this page to Favourites.

Job done.

Now when you start Edge all the Tabs will be available and whever you open a new Tab the Favourites you save will be there ready to select

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
"I though everyone did"

Nope, I never bother with them.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 16:38 BST (UK) »

Add - I've worked in or with computing, on and off since the late 1960s, so no lectures thank you.

Rather harsh (& unnecessary) Gadget.  ReadyDale was only trying to assist the OP.
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 16:40 BST (UK) »

Rather harsh (& unnecessary) Gadget.  ReadyDale was only trying to assist the OP.
Thank you Pheno. I was going to reply, but didn't want to get in to a slanging match. Life's too short