Author Topic: Pinning a Website to the Start Menu of Windows 10  (Read 1494 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Pinning a Website to the Start Menu of Windows 10
« on: Tuesday 21 July 20 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm hoping someone here can help as I think my brain has fried! How do I "pin" Rootschat [or any website] to my start menu on Windows 10?

Usually I would click the three dots at the top right and then click "pin to start" which is what the help page states, however when I tried this today I can't find the "pin to start" option. If I click on "more options" there is an option to "pin to taskbar" which I also use for some websites but I should be able to pin the page to the start menu.

So am I looking the wrong place or doing it the wrong way?

How do I pin this to the start?

Many Thanks

Matt

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Pinning a Website to the Start Menu of Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 22:15 BST (UK) »
After selecting the 3 dots, the "pin this page to start" options is under " More Tools"

Simon

guest189040

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 22:23 BST (UK) »
I would do it a different way.

I have my Browser of choice ( Firefox ) pinned to the Taskbar.

I want to open up Roots Chat then I simply click on the Firefox icon on the Taskbar and the Browser opens and it displays various websites each in its own Tab.

Amongst the Tabs within Firefox there is Roots Chat, Ancestry, Family Search and Lan OPC all there and ready to switch from Tab to Tab to access the various Websites.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 July 20 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
Once you are in Firefox     

Tools / Options / Home /     

Then select Homepage / Custom URLs         

then add in the box (eg) https://Rootschat.com | http://etc.com/pineapple | . . .       
for each webpage you wish to bring up across the top when firefox starts up,     
[ "|" is the separator for each linked url ]     

Alternatively, you could create a page full of links, as html, place that in a folder on your machine then point to it "as above".     

et al / ad infinitum / etc., etc..

R
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 01:09 BST (UK) »
After selecting the 3 dots, the "pin this page to start" options is under " More Tools"

Simon

Hi Simon

That's where I looked as I expected it to be there. All that comes up however is the following:

Save Page As
Cast Media to device
Pin to Taskbar
Launch Taskbar pinning wizzard
Browser Task manager
Developer Tools

I have no idea what the last one does and dare not touch it. I did try clicking on the "browse task manager" option but all that didn't seem to do anything.

It definitely was there and as far as I know the "pin to start" should be where you said.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I think I forgot to mention this in the first post. My browser is Microsoft Edge and not Firefox so the suggestions for that browser don't help me. Looking through the options on the menu that drops down from the three dots there is nothing like a "tools" option suggested in the posts for Firefox.

I did look on the "help" section of Edge [located at the bottom of the drop down menu] and according that you should be able to pin a website in the way suggested by locksmith - ie "More Tools" then "pin to start" but I don't have that option on the list when I click "More Tools"

I had to make some changes to the settings on Edge but I don't think that would affect anything. At least they shouldn't.

I have a few ideas on what I might try next but it would be good to know if there's another method.

Matt

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 03:07 BST (UK) »
Why aren't you just using bookmarks?

Debra  :)

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 07:04 BST (UK) »
Matt,

Since I looked last night, I have had this month's Windows Updates including what looks like an overhaul of Edge, and you are right the option that you want appears to have been removed, probably because it's not something that is much used. As Debra say, I'm not sure why you are not using bookmarks, its what they're there for.

Simon

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 10:45 BST (UK) »
Why aren't you just using bookmarks?

Debra  :)

I though everyone did  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***