Author Topic: Pinning a Website to the Start Menu of Windows 10  (Read 1485 times)

guest189040

Re: Pinning a Website to the Start Menu of Windows 10
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 18:21 BST (UK) »
What you can also do is once you have saved the Website to Favourites is to then within Manage Favourites is to select Roots Chat and drag and drop it onto the Desktop.

This gives direct access directly to the website.

If someone takes exception at a response of mine then do please revisit your post that caused it as I will interpret your post as what I think it says and not necessarily what you meant to say.  Hence please do not be ambiguous in your post

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 18:38 BST (UK) »
Quite  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 19:08 BST (UK) »
I feel compelled to respond to 'narky' posts by suggesting that you preface your posts by all that you already know so that people don't err against you in future.

In the belief that the function of this forum is help each other I fail to understand how some people can respond so negatively.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 19:28 BST (UK) »
The fastest way to get to a 'favorite' is to type the first few letters into Google search.  If I type 'wapo,' the Washington Post will come to the top of the list; 'find' brings up Find-A-Grave; 'broo' gets me to the Brooklyn Daily Eagle; 'chron' takes me to Chronicling America.  Just the letter 'g' will bring up Google News.  It's much faster than futzing around with folders of favorites.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

guest189040

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 21:13 BST (UK) »
The fastest way to get to a 'favorite' is to type the first few letters into Google search.  If I type 'wapo,' the Washington Post will come to the top of the list; 'find' brings up Find-A-Grave; 'broo' gets me to the Brooklyn Daily Eagle; 'chron' takes me to Chronicling America.  Just the letter 'g' will bring up Google News.  It's much faster than futzing around with folders of favorites.

Your way is not the quickest or easiest method.

The quickest method is to have your Favourite sites as ones that are permanently open in their own Tab in the browser, one click on the appropriate Tab and the desired website opens

The alternative fastest way is to have the web address of each favoured website saved to your Favourite, then:-

One click on +

And a new Tab opens displaying the websites saved to Favourites.

One click on the Icon for the website concerned and the webpage opens.

Max number of clicks = 2

Which is way quicker that starting Google, then typing part of the web name and then clicking on the returns.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 21:48 BST (UK) »
Just to add that Favourites are  Bookmarks in Firefox.

add - link to how to:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/bookmarks-firefox
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 21:51 BST (UK) »
"The quickest method is to have your Favourite sites as ones that are permanently open in their own Tab in the browser, one click on the appropriate Tab and the desired website opens"

Of course.  I do that, as well.  I have three [sometimes four] windows each with about four or five permanent tabs that automatically load when I fire up the machine in the morning.  I have a biological window, a genealogical window and a news window.  These hold my essential web sites so I never have to look them up.  Sometimes I'll have another window holding things that are temporarily important.  Sites like the Daily Eagle qualify as favorites but not daily essentials so I get to them via the search list.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 23:15 BST (UK) »
Why aren't you just using bookmarks?

Debra  :)

I don't use them because I need to see my main websites on the start menu. I have epilepsy and take strong medication which affects my memory. If I just put things in a bookmark I forget what is there. I need to have anything I want to use regularly pinned to the front as a visual indication, and for ease of use.

Bookmarks are not a good option for everyone although I do use them for some bits but I cannot tell you what is there now or where the bookmarks even are.

Oddly I can pin the site to the taskbar at the bottom which is what I have done for now. The "pin to start"

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 23:19 BST (UK) »
What you can also do is once you have saved the Website to Favourites is to then within Manage Favourites is to select Roots Chat and drag and drop it onto the Desktop.

This gives direct access directly to the website.

If someone takes exception at a response of mine then do please revisit your post that caused it as I will interpret your post as what I think it says and not necessarily what you meant to say.  Hence please do not be ambiguous in your post

Hi there

Your suggestion sounds interesting but how do I do it [step by step]?

I pin lots of sites I use regularly to the start menu so I really need to be able to do this via the usual  left click method but at the moment I only want to re-pin this to the start [I unpinned it in error].

Oddly I can still unpin so you would expect the reverse to be possible as well.

Do you think Windows have something against people using this method? It is very useful I find.

Best Wishes
Matt