Author Topic: Pinning a Website to the Start Menu of Windows 10  (Read 1492 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Pinning a Website to the Start Menu of Windows 10
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 23:31 BST (UK) »
What you can also do is once you have saved the Website to Favourites is to then within Manage Favourites is to select Roots Chat and drag and drop it onto the Desktop.

This gives direct access directly to the website.

If someone takes exception at a response of mine then do please revisit your post that caused it as I will interpret your post as what I think it says and not necessarily what you meant to say.  Hence please do not be ambiguous in your post

Hi

Somehow I have just found that I have actually got Rootschat saved in a Favourites folder [along with over 100 other genealogy websites].

How do I "drag and drop" this to the start as you suggest? I've found the "Manage Bookmarks" option and can highlight the bookmark for Rootschat and even move it around within that list. When I try to "drag" it across to the start menu, the menu doesn't appear and if I bring up a small start menu [just by making it smaller] the tile for Rootschat doesn't move to it.

Am I doing this wrong? I thought I was getting somewhere thanks to your suggestion.

Many thanks

Matt

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 23:45 BST (UK) »
Oddly I can pin the site to the taskbar at the bottom which is what I have done for now.

Once you've pinned it to the taskbar you can use the taskbar item to pin it to the start. There's probably a simpler, more direct way of doing this but it works.

Steps:
1) Right click the taskbar icon
2) Move the pointer over the website name in context menu (the popup menu)
3) Right click the name to open the secondary context menu
4) Left click "Pin to Start"
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 23 July 20 00:33 BST (UK) »
Oddly I can pin the site to the taskbar at the bottom which is what I have done for now.

Once you've pinned it to the taskbar you can use the taskbar item to pin it to the start. There's probably a simpler, more direct way of doing this but it works.

Steps:
1) Right click the taskbar icon
2) Move the pointer over the website name in context menu (the popup menu)
3) Right click the name to open the secondary context menu
4) Left click "Pin to Start"

Hi

Many thanks for that. I have actually managed to do it before you suggested this. I was moving a few tiles around on my Start Menu and happened to hover over the tile for Rootschat in my "Frequently Used" list on the left. Suddenly a box popped up with the opion to "pin to start" so I click that and there it was! I've tried your method too and that did the same thing.

Unfortunately it won't let me resize the tile as much as before but that isn't a problem as sometimes smaller tiles are better [I just enjoyed having the ability to resize things].

So I think it's problem solved!!!!

Many thanks to you and EVERYONE who has replied to this post, made suggestions, listened to my moans, and generally added anything to help.

In future I'll be careful not to unpin anything!

Best Wishes to all
Matt

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 27 July 20 13:17 BST (UK) »
There has always been a problem in people assuming that everyone should work the same way as their own favourite habit.

Thus, someone at Microsoft didn't see the point of having a feature which Matt had come to rely on, and removed it from the code.

They may have done analysis of the things people actually do, but statistics will not have shown whether this was actually useful. Matt, a big user of the feature, has probably used it less than a dozen times, but uses the result many times a day.

I think that the Send Feedback is in order, requesting it be reinstated. Believe it or not, Microsoft do sometimes take notice and act. Point out the disability angle, because they HAVE to be seen to be good on this.

Point out also that removing features based on stats is a stupid idea - there's one feature that most users will never run, and so by this thinking ought to be removed - Windows Setup.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.