Author Topic: Cause of death help needed, please.  (Read 585 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Cause of death help needed, please.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 18:28 BST (UK) »
Failure of vital power is when you and/or your body becomes weak, gives up or unable to fight any illness, disease, cancer, etc.

Failure of vital power is mentioned in the British Medical Journal of 1868.
Failure of vital power is essential to the occurrence of morbid action. ... It permits the active cause to take effect.

Some people may have more vital power to overcome an illness, fatal in others or to stay alive longer.

It can be frightening when you suddenly become seriously unwell, perhaps life is in the balance, but your vital power is strong and kept you alive so far, you may hear bystanders and paramedics say phrases like stay with me and keep wanting responses from you, before you are stabilised.

Someone who is about to commit suicide has lost their 'vital power' mentally to stay alive if about to jump off, or on a railway. Do anything you can safely ... to tell them to come away, that life will improve and that they can find happiness again or a situation can be overcome with help.

Mark

Offline Peter L. Mitchell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cause of death help needed, please.
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 08:41 BST (UK) »
Sorry I haven't replied until now.

Death was 1873. Male aged 75 years. Died at Brandon Colliery, Durham.

Thanks to Bushinn1746 for your explanation.

Family history had him working in the mines from the age of 5 years, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if he just dropped while in the mine. Cause of death was certified.

This is a great site. Thanks for your help, everyone!

Peter