Author Topic: Charles Ebenezer READHEAD  (Read 713 times)

Offline freesia44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Ebenezer READHEAD
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
I found the marriage in Canada on the Ancestry website of a friend.It is on the Scots in the USA and Canada 1825 - 1875 page.  Charles is my paternal Gt.Grandfather and he was born in Shoreditch England and Eliza Rodgers was born in Sligo Ireland.
As far as I am aware neither of them visited Canada but I do not have the pedigree of Eliza Jane Rodgers.  Charles Readhead was a straw hat maker in London and eventually Luton.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stan for the information about the Scots in the USA and Canada dataset.

Freesia - thank you for that added info -- which makes the situation even more odd!! I think you are going to have to offer a prize for whoever comes up with a feasible explanation for the marriage entry in the Scots in the USA and Canada book!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 17:24 BST (UK) »
From Part 1 of the Scots in the USA and Canada, 1825-1875 there is a refence SG#1756 whatever that means.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=l0L3OdmFqUUC&q=readhead#v=snippet&q=readhead&f=false

There is an explantion of the source of the details at
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=l0L3OdmFqUUC&source=gbs_similarbooks

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 18:42 BST (UK) »
I checked the links you kindly provided Stan and saw that Newspapers were a source of some information contained in the books.

However, searching Scottish Newspapers for this marriage brings up no results unfortunately - it's a complete mystery to me I'm afraid -- especially as the entry actually states Toronto as the place of marriage.
Places of interest;

Offline freesia44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 19:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help.  Perhaps it will have to remain as mysterious as to why they got married in Barony in the first place as Charles definitely lived in London. Perhaps Eliza's family moved there after leaving Sligo? Perhaps I'll never know.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 19:51 BST (UK) »
Freesia - if you know Eliza's parents. you could check if they are on the Scottish census records.

Check for Eliza in 1841 first -- if she's not there, then her parents in 1851 (if they are still alive of course).
Places of interest;

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 21:04 BST (UK) »
Dr David Dobson is an Honorary Research Fellow at St. Andrews University http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pqy/

Is a recognized authority on the Scottish origins of American colonists. His list of publications exceeds 100 books https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/David_Dobson

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 23:13 BST (UK) »
I checked the links you kindly provided Stan and saw that Newspapers were a source of some information contained in the books.

However, searching Scottish Newspapers for this marriage brings up no results unfortunately - it's a complete mystery to me I'm afraid -- especially as the entry actually states Toronto as the place of marriage.

If they had family in Toronto, an announcement of the wedding could have been in a Toronto newspaper which may have mentioned the fathers' name. 
I had a very similiar problem with the Scots in the USA and Canada, 1825-1875 collection.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 July 20 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi bbart -- that's a good thought and very plausible.
Places of interest;