Author Topic: Please can someone help me get my head around this?  (Read 238 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jane Bellot, sister to my 5gt-grannie!
    • View Profile
Please can someone help me get my head around this?
« on: Wednesday 22 July 20 18:59 BST (UK) »
I can't quite grasp this for some reason and don't want to make a crashing error so if anyone can point anything out, I'd be grateful!

Catherine Holyland b 1775 in Kent, had at least 2 siblings - Sophia (b 1779) and Barbara (b 1782). Catherine married Noah Nichols in London in 1804; they had a daughter called Catherine Sophia Nichols. I haven't got a death for Catherine.

However, Noah Nichols (I'm presuming the same man?) then married Sophia Holyland in 1828 (London). So I was presuming (again) that he married his sister in law.

Noah died in 1837 - his will names his wife Sophia. In 1841, Sophia was "independent" and living in Southwark; with her is Henry Holyland, age 28, a carman, not born in county. Sophia lived for some time afterwards in an asylum run by the victuallers association (Noah was an innkeeper) and her pob in 1851 was given as Erith, Kent, yob around 1779.

I think Henry must be the Henry Holyland who was bapt in St George in the East in 1814, the son of William (carman) and ----- Sophia.

So that would make Noah's second wife Sophia, the widow of William rather than the sister of Catherine, wouldn't it? Of course I can't find any marriage for William and Sophia, nor confirm a death for William. And I don't know if William and Catherine may have been related. And I have no idea what became of Catherine's sister Sophia if it wasn't her who married Noah. It's just something of a coincidence to marry 2 women of the same age with the same fairly unusual surname if they're not already related!

Can anyone spot anything here I've missed? Or any other lines of enquiry I could follow to try to untangle this?

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Leic)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Liam59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please can someone help me get my head around this?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 21:57 BST (UK) »
Where cousins married each other they'd sometimes have the same surname before and after marriage so if William was a cousin, Sophia could be sister to Catherine and also mother of Henry, having married William before she married Noah?
I've also come across first names being used in families a lot so have seen first cousins of very similar ages with the same first and last names so I suppose there could have been two Sophia Holylands?