Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 22nd July  (Read 601 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 22nd July
« on: Wednesday 22 July 20 23:06 BST (UK) »
Woke up a bit earlier today, stopped myself from going back to sleep. The Met Office seemed to be right, it was very cloudy although no rain yet. No rush to do anything. My order of art materials from The Works was due today, I got a message to say the courier would deliver my order between 11am and1pm so decided to leave my walk until after lunch. Did some ironing so I could see when the delivery arrived, it was about 12.30 when the courier arrived. Removed the contents from the box and put them out of the way to quarantine them then put the box in the garage and washed my hands. Recycling bins were emptied this morning, went out to retrieve mine, the postman was just coming up the drive with my parcel from Boots, he put it down for me then I went through the whole rigmarole again.

Had some lunch, did some tidying around, general domestic stuff. It was after 2pm when I went out, it was raining lightly and the forecast said 80% chance of heavy rain but I reckoned I could soon come back if it chucked it down. The rain didn't get any heavier while I was out. Was annoyed to see that some branches had been yanked off the trees and put between two trees, not sure if it was for sitting on or balancing but either way it was vandalism. 

Back home, into the garden to plant my seeds in small pots. It was a bit difficult to know exactly where I'd planted them as they're microscopic, will see if they germinate. It was still spotting with rain so all quiet on the western front, attached new trellis with cable ties. Not ideal as it is but hopefully will be able to tidy it later.

Rain was a bit heavier so came inside and sorted out some paperwork. Did another Sunday dinner with leftover chicken and fresh veg. Rhubarb and yoghurt for dessert, I usually have berries but just fancied some rhubarb, it was from a tin but was okay.

Looking back I don't seem to have done a lot but it felt like I was busy all day, not a bad day.

I often have a look at the weather forecast for the areas where some friends live, today the Midlands forecast was cloudy with sunny spells, similar in London but more sun, and in Brixham it was big fat sunshine all day, hope the actuality lived up to it. Had previously planned to visit my friend in Brixham this summer, another disappointment to add to the list but that's pretty much the same for everyone.

Over to you folks, hope it's been a good one.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 22nd July
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 July 20 00:04 BST (UK) »
Looks like you had a pretty busy day, with deliveries, ironing, walking, gardening etc! I sometimes what's going through people's brains to create wanton vandalism like that...
I'm finding it best not to dwell on what you should have been doing as it makes me upset and quite resentful for some stupid reason! I suppose we just have to try and look ahead to brighter times...

My day

I woke up quite late after a good nights sleep... was busy writing up my diary for yesterday when OH appeared with a cuppa for me 😱😳... most unheard of... just came to see if I was ok... awww sweet of him!
By the time I'd got up and sorted it was quite a late breakfast for me...
Decided to give the freezer a good tidy up and see exactly what was lurking there that Ive missed or disappeared to the bottom... that seem to take some time...
Messaged my two neighbours who I'd said I'd make them some face coverings and asked for various measurements so I get them the right size.. I found a new pattern so thought I'd just do a mock up to see what it's like..
Had lunch then out in the garden, lovely warm sunny day...
OH was trimming branches off the apple tree which had been given a severe cutting in the autumn after we'd taken all the apples off and now got new branches everywhere... no apples but to be expected...
I edged the lawn and dug the borders over I'd missed the other day.
My SiL phoned so chatted to her whilst still trimming all the yew that's hanging over from next doors garden...
Her son and family live in Singapore and she's got two little granddaughters out there... waited long time to become a grandma and they go out often... but not now,,, she was quite tearful about not seeing them and wondering if she will get to see them again... I tried to reassure her that if they didn't go out felt sure nephew would come back here at some point... 
so glad our son doesn't have children ... only because couldn't cope not seeing them... but do wonder if and when we're likely to see them too...
Just about finished when time to do storytime with the boys... OH did first sitting continuing with Charlie and the Chicolate factory...then I read some more Riverboat Tales...
Had a chat with them nowboth with new haircuts... looks much better! T the eldest told me he'd been picked for the tennis team... they were looking forward to their hols down to Dartmouth on Friday... got indoor and outdoor pools, games room, tennis courts so hope all will be well and safe for them all... daughter organised c & c shop from Sainsbury's in Paignton!
OH had got off to the tip....
I went and carried on with prototype of face covering...
He'd been gone a long time... they'd stopped people from going in whilst they dumped everything down in the big skips... he was first in line but had to wait about half an hour!
Dinner was fish with new pots and vegs...
Watched Mrs America...
and so to bed...
 Felt quite restless after talking to SiL she got me thinking.... never wise as have such over active mind and can get into quite a lather about things... then she'd said they were going to Suffolk on Saturday for a week... middle of nowhere self catering...
Then daughter says why didn't we go away somewhere... OH not keen at all and not sure I am either really but got myself in quite a stew about it... so he says should we go out on Friday... where too! Got membership of both NT and English Heritage but have to book can't just go on spec if weathers nice.. so didn't really say much.... oh well good sleep and I'll be different in the morning...

Hope others had a better day...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 July 20 01:05 BST (UK) »
Today

Another good nights sleep and joy of joy's, nice and sunny which inspired me to catch up with some odd jobs which I'd been putting off.   Late lunch, watching some TV whilst deciding whether to sit outside or not.   Then came communications  from my niece  sending me all of a dither.

On Christmas Day I found out that my niece was pregnant (moved into new house in June – new house, new baby) but sadly she lost the baby just 2 weeks later.   They were devastated and weren’t sure whether they would try again.   However, found out today (she Whatsapped on our family thread) that she is pregnant again (13 weeks), had a scan yesterday, and it is TWINS!!!   Waited until after the scan before telling anyone after what happened last time.   I asked how she felt when told it was twins and she said she couldn’t stop laughing!   So now got scans of the babies, definitely two.  I’m truly happy for them but after what happened before confess I’ve got a bit of an anxious feeling too.   She already has a son Luke, 16, (who’s in shock) and daughter Esmae, 10, (who’s happy).

Phoned my cousin  in Dorset who's very fond of Jo and family - her reaction was the same as mine, gobsmacked!   That kind of unsettled me for a little while, just couldn't concentrate on anything.  Late afternoon took refuse to the bins at the rear of the car park and discovered the couple from flat 5 were sitting out - asked me to join them and have a drink with them but thanked them and declined on this occassion.   I did, however, chat with them for a little while and told them about Jo who'd they'd met when she last visited.  We also discussed the visit by next doors son who appeared again around mid-day.   Yes, we had another episode this morning - he started off kicking the door of his fathers flat (who's been told not to let him in) and then began shouting and swearing like you wouldn't believe.   The chap from flat 5 tried to talk to him and calm him down but he was having none of it.   He eventually rode off on his bike hurling abuse as he went and a few minutes later 2 police vehicles arrived.  The officers talked to the father and the neighbour for quite a while.  The father told to take out another injunction against him but it makes no difference.   He's been to court more than I've had hot dinners.  He just shouldn't be at large in society because he simply won't take his medication and then cannot cope with everyday life.

Salad and quiche tonight and then watched an old episode of Lewis and then Father Brown.  Washed up, made a coffee and now doing a bit of Rootschatting.

Annette     
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 July 20 08:03 BST (UK) »
Didn't wake up till 07:30, so shot straight in the shower and into town for some bread.  The back lane is high above the railway line and I noticed swifts wheeling and calling quite close to me. On my return I was able to see the swifts were still flying in the same location and realised they have a roost (nest?) under the eaves of a very "tall" house.  I watched one go into the roost, and several others circling around, then a large bird landed on a wire under the roost and I would guess it was a juvenile peregrine falcon. The swifts screeched and bombed it till it flew away.... did I have a camera?  I did not.  Such drama before breakfast!And after breakfast we went on a sea cruise. Yes.... we have had our summer holiday, and home in time for tea!  ;)
Drove over to Brixham, parked high above the town centre and walked down to book seats on the Western Lady Ferry across to Torquay. A little bit of a mix up on boarding, as a fishing trawler brought in a land mine so the ferry pier was closed for a while. Had to wear masks as the ferry is classed as public transport.  A beautiful flat calm trip over to Torquay for a take away coffee, and then the return voyage. Sadly, no dolphins or seals to report.  Walked back up the hill again to the car, visibility all the way over to Lyme Bay, and a quiet drive back to Paignton.  Definitely less costly than a month in New Zealand, or even Spain!  :)  Fresh Brixham crab sandwiches for tea, a big treat.
Watched an old Lewis on TV.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 July 20 08:25 BST (UK) »
Good to know you had a productive day Roobarb.  I am gnashing my teeth that people are wrecking the trees. I really hate to see that. Some people are just SO lacking in any understanding.  :'(  I can report it was a lovely sunny day in Brixham and I do hope you feel able to visit there soon.  Hope you enjoyed your Rhubarb Roobarb. ;D
Shame you got in a flap about the thought of being away Caroline... but not worth going until you feel sanguine about it.  Hopefully another few weeks of settled new normal will be a help. We had to wear masks on the boat, but it was ok.
Great news about your niece Annette, I'm not surprised you were surprised!! 
Ref mental health issues, perhaps the father might talk to local unit and ask if there are measures for slow release medications which could be put in place?
Hope everyone has a good day today.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 July 20 09:47 BST (UK) »
Annette- wonderful news for the family that your niece is to have twins but can understand your apprehension after her previous experience... but some joy to look forward to.
Sorry you're all still having problems with the chap and his abusive behaviour... our next door neighbours son had issues too, he wasn't aggressive though but thought he could manage without medication and caused them some angst. OH found him one day outside their house, they were at work, in a very agitated state, he'd walked about 14 miles from the hostel he lived in and OH let him into their garden with a cold drink of water then phoned them to tell them... poor chap..

Mowsehowse- how lovely to take a boat ride especially if it was a lovely calm day too.. please can you do a good weather dance as the family are coming down tomorrow to stay at Tukenhay Mill near Totnes! 
Not seen the house martins for some time sadly but do get the woodpeckers in eating the ants!
Glorious day today here going to enjoy the sunshine.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 July 20 18:12 BST (UK) »
Caroline, I feel resentful too, principally towards the country where this all started but I won't pursue that one! Hope you had a good sleep and got rid of last night's angst. It's difficult sometimes to stop the thoughts piling in, everything is so complicated now and personally I'd rather not bother with going anywhere at the moment. Just do what you're comfortable with, anything less would reduce the pleasure.

Annette, must be awful having to put up with all that from your neighbour's son, I hope it's resolved soon. But what wonderful news about the twins, no wonder they're all in shock with a sixteen year age gap between them and the eldest!

Mowsehowse, what a lovely day you had, I'm so envious. Am thinking that I wish my ancestors hadn't moved north from sunny Devon but that would mean I wouldn't exist! There were dolphins off our coast the other day though, there was a photo in our local paper. I knew there would be someone who couldn't resist the rhubarb joke.  ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 July 20 20:34 BST (UK) »

Annette, must be awful having to put up with all that from your neighbour's son, I hope it's resolved soon. But what wonderful news about the twins, no wonder they're all in shock with a sixteen year age gap between them and the eldest!

Thank you, Roobarb.  Jo was 19 when she had Luke but her relationship with his father only lasted 3 years.  However, they have always remained good friends.   Then she met and married her husband and they had Esmae who is very precious.  Before she was born they discovered she had a heart defect and Jo had to go to St. Thomas Hospital in London to give birth to her (had been offered a termination which they declined).  She was diagnosed with Fallot's Tetralogy - a week after she was born she had to have an operation and another when she was a year old.   Whilst in London another couple had a baby with the same diagnosis but their baby was far worse and nothing could be done.   This really brought home to Jo and Scott how lucky they were that Esmae was able to be helped.   She is monitored by the hospital still and they say she should live a normal life but to not expect her to win the Olympics!   She has boundless energy and loves gymnastics but is small for her age.  Jo and Scott wanted to have their own home and have been saving hard since Esmae was born culminating in achieving their dream last year.  I'm very proud of them.  Jo is 36 (June), very fit and is a gymnatics coach.

Annette     
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 July 20 22:02 BST (UK) »
What an inspiration they sound, no wonder you're proud of them. How exciting for them all to have two babies to look forward to.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham