Author Topic: Marriages with different dates  (Read 819 times)

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Marriages with different dates
« on: Thursday 23 July 20 03:27 BST (UK) »
I have found, on Ancestry, the information that Samuel SMITH married Sophia WRIGHT on 23rd October 1803 at Diss, Norfolk. I have also found that Samuel SMITH married Sophia WRIGHT on 6th November 1803 at Diss, Norfolk.

Can anyone help me with an explanation for this, and/or how to access Norfolk parish registers to search for the church records please
TUDGEY; STEVENS (Surrey); SMITH (Surrey, Essex, Norfolk); WILKS (Worcs); YOUNG (Worcs); COWLEY (Ireland, Surrey); GROVE (Hampshire); REEVES (Gloucs. Worcs.); RETFORD (Hampshire, Surrey); FAIRBROTHER (Kent); WEBB (Surrey, Bucks); WILLIAMS (Pembrokeshire). Nicol (Scotland);DOLLOWAY (Kent); BOX (Worcs).

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriages with different dates
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 July 20 03:47 BST (UK) »
This might help.

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Banns_of_marriage

They were married on 6 Nov 1803 and the banns were read on 9, 16 and 23 October 1803.

The church registers are on Ancestry.

Debra  :)

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 July 20 06:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Debra.I'm finding it hard to work my way around Ancestry but I guess I could do a general search of some kind. But I shall follow up on the link you provided.

TUDGEY; STEVENS (Surrey); SMITH (Surrey, Essex, Norfolk); WILKS (Worcs); YOUNG (Worcs); COWLEY (Ireland, Surrey); GROVE (Hampshire); REEVES (Gloucs. Worcs.); RETFORD (Hampshire, Surrey); FAIRBROTHER (Kent); WEBB (Surrey, Bucks); WILLIAMS (Pembrokeshire). Nicol (Scotland);DOLLOWAY (Kent); BOX (Worcs).

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 July 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
If you havent tried FreeREG its a excellent site for Norfolk Records.
The Marriage is on there 6 Nov 1803
+ Bapt of SOPHIA to them 26 Mar 1804 and her Burial 02 Jul 1804

+ a Bapt of Sophia WRIGHT  12 Oct 1776 Wymondham, Norfolk
And her Parents Marriage 14 Nov 1774

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 July 20 06:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Trish. I looked at FreeReg. So, is the information given on FreeReg taken from the parish registers? I know there's not the same amount of information given in the registers as it was in later years.

I couldn't find baptism details of Samuel Smith. I have found he was a chaff cutter and the couple moved to Maldon in Essex after, or at the time of, baby Sophia's death. I wonder if a chaff cutter moved around a lot and he might have come from Essex in the first place and been cutting chaff in Norfolk where he met Sophia.

Thank you (and Debra earlier) for your help.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 July 20 10:29 BST (UK) »
Yes the FreeREG info is taken by volunteers from Parish Records :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 July 20 11:23 BST (UK) »
Samuels Death Reg;
SMITH, SAMUEL age 74*** 
GRO Reference: 1849  D Quarter in MALDON  Volume 12  Page 107
(born c 1775)

There is a Samuel Bapt 1776 Maldon on FreeREG to SAMUEL/SARAH

Samuel married Sarah CARDER 14 Feb 1768 Maldon

(they had a earlier Samuel 1775 who appears to have died a few mths later (no age given)

2 problems here;
Smith is a common name and 1841 Samuel says he is not born in the County ie Essex    

Offline Jamie H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 July 20 08:13 BST (UK) »
I know what you mean about SMITH being a common name. I've not followed up my Smiths for a while and have recorded what I found in the Reunion programme. I hadn't got anything earlier than Samuel Smith in Norfolk marrying Sophia Wright and then re-locating to Maldon in Essex. And I had found Samuel and Sophia weren't born in Essex, as you say. But I have the death record of Samuel's death as 1847 in the Union Workhouse, Maldon.  And a son, George Samuel Smith (aka Samuel George Smith) born 1805. I know that's the right line because it leads to my great-grandfather James Smith and down to Ernest Smith my grandfather etc.

I think you are right about a Samuel dying, followed by another Samuel (maybe that was the Samuel George) but I can't remember where I saw that.

Anyway, I mustn't bore you with all this. I wanted to follow my Smith line back because I had wondered if there was a Romany connection. 'Smith' and 'Wright' (and 'Porter' which comes into it) are names Gypsies used, but I know that doesn't mean that everyone with those names were Romany.

Thank you for listening -:)

Zillah

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 July 20 11:40 BST (UK) »
Your welcome Zillah :)