Author Topic: Who was John Thomas Tilley and how did he end up there?  (Read 494 times)

Online Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Who was John Thomas Tilley and how did he end up there?
« on: Thursday 23 July 20 09:43 BST (UK) »
I have come across another mystery here in Leicester. I have been examining the Beadsworth family who moved into the town in the early 1800s. I have found one useful source to be the burial indexes for Welford Road cemetery where many of the family ended up.

Joseph Beadsworth married Margaret Ann Goddard in September 1862 and produced 13 children of which 7 died in infancy.

Margaret's father William was a butcher, living in East Bond Street. He died aged 35 years in April 1853. He was buried in Section L Plot 298 of the cemetery. It is one of the other occupants who caused this mystery.  As well as Catherine, William's mother in law and John, William's father in law, there are Kate and Joseph, two Joseph and Margaret's infant children.

The sixth occupant is the curiosity. John Thomas Tilley aged 8 months died in East Bond Street and was buried on April 25th 1854.  His birth certificate shows that he was the illegitimate son of Ann Tilley who was residing in the Leicester Union Workhouse at the time of his birth.

I have many members of the Tilley family in my database but I cannot place Ann in any censuses or bmd indexes.

Any thoughts would be helpful

Alan

Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Who was John Thomas Tilley and how did he end up there?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 July 20 12:24 BST (UK) »
Are any WH records available for that period that may give a bit more info about her?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 July 20 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole

None that I have found to date. The Workhouse admissions and discharges CD starts much later that that

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 July 20 21:24 BST (UK) »
There's a non-conformist baptism for him also

Born 03-Aug   1853
Bap  31-Jul   1853      
Tilley   John Thomas         Ann   Tilley            Leicester   LEI         Leicester, Holy Cross Priory   Roman Catholic

Microfiche RC6/2/4   311   

It's the only reference I can find
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon