Author Topic: Most children of same gender in a row  (Read 6268 times)

Offline Gallicrow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Most children of same gender in a row
« on: Friday 24 July 20 15:19 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone can beat the record of my x3 great uncle and his wife who had nine daughters in a row (in a mere sixteen years)?

Finally after all these girls they had a boy, but alas he died as an infant.
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/GWHF-T1H

The other "record breaker" I wanted to mention was a woman who had six husbands, outliving five of them. Unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember who she was. It was a quite obscure relative that I was researching one evening. I was looking for a record of her death but instead kept finding yet another marriage and then upon checking finding that her latest husband had died soon after their marriage! I hope they were all natural causes...
Eva family in Devon and Cornwall.
Bowdidge family in Devon and Dorset.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Most children of same sex in a row
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 July 20 17:20 BST (UK) »
My ex-husband's ancestor had 10 boys in a row.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 July 20 17:41 BST (UK) »
I worked with a guy who had 12 children - only the second was a girl, so ten boys in a row.  When the thirteenth kid was born, it was a girl!  They went on to have a fourteenth but I don't know what sex.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 July 20 18:04 BST (UK) »
Not a record at all.  But after three girls a person in my tree was more or less told that the likelihood of a boy was very remote.

This was in the 1960s, so I guess by then there was some understanding of how these things work!

FS

Offline durhamgirl73

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 July 20 18:05 BST (UK) »
Nothing to do with your original post but I do wonder why people named their children the same as their siblings children and then their children the same.

eg John Hayward, son John Hayward (fair enough), but then other sons name their children John, then their children John....

So John Hayward has 3 grandchildren called John Hayward etc all living in the same place and also other grandchildren John (children of his daughters) - you can just imagine "This is my grandson John and this is John and this is John .......)

Other names also apply.

These days you wouldn't name your child the same as your siblings children especially if you have the same surname.

Offline Gallicrow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 July 20 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi durhamgirl73.

When I first started doing this family history lark, about a year ago, I discovered that my 3xgreat grandmother was called Annie Jane Winckworth and, thinking it was a very unusual name, I assumed that any record I found for someone of that name must be the same person.

Then just yesterday I realised that "my" Annie Jane Winckworth had a cousin, also called Annie Jane Winckworth born two years later and that I had mixed up the records of both. It took me  an hour or so to untangle the mess I had made.
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/G386-3TH
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/GWHN-MHL
Eva family in Devon and Cornwall.
Bowdidge family in Devon and Dorset.

Offline durhamgirl73

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 July 20 18:40 BST (UK) »
I can appreciate people wanted to name their children after themselves, their parents, their grandparents but it should have been first come first served eg once John had been used noone else was allowed to use the name  ::) well at least until the next generation

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 July 20 20:19 BST (UK) »
I can appreciate people wanted to name their children after themselves, their parents, their grandparents but it should have been first come first served eg once John had been used noone else was allowed to use the name  ::) well at least until the next generation

But even if a family did that, it didn't stop their brothers with the same surname, repeating the same names even if the children were born and baptised at more or less the same date in the same place  :o :o :o

I've always said they did it to annoy and frustrate future generations of researchers.....

Or cousins with the same surname from the previous generation  :o :o :o
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 July 20 02:08 BST (UK) »

So John Hayward has 3 grandchildren called John Hayward etc all living in the same place and also other grandchildren John (children of his daughters) - you can just imagine "This is my grandson John and this is John and this is John .......)

That's nothing in comparison to my John set. A daughter of my 5xGGF John married a distant cousin with the same surname, called John. Guess what they called 1 of their 8 sons? It begins with J. Grandson John also had a maternal uncle John.
Meanwhile, in a neighbouring parish, another 5xGGF, Tom Moon had a family of 10, one son was Tom of course. A daughter of Tom Senior married a man from the same parish called Tom Moon. The 2 younger men were probably "Our Tom" and "Our Maggie's Tom".
The longest run of the same sex was 6 girls in a family of 13 children, 10 girls, 3 boys. 7th child & 1st boy died aged 2. The next 2 babies were girls who survived. Then eldest daughter had an illegitimate son who seems to have been brought up by his grandparents and who may have believed he was theirs. 
Cowban