Author Topic: Most children of same gender in a row  (Read 6249 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Most children of same gender in a row
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 July 20 02:56 BST (UK) »
My cousins paternal grandfather was born in 1888, the youngest in a family of 10 and yes, the first 9 were all girls.   He was given the christian names Royal Augustus George - a long name for a long awaited son!  The 10 children born over a period of 19 years.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 July 20 14:01 BST (UK) »
My answer in reply #8 was incorrect. I mis-remembered. The most was 7 sons followed by a daughter.
Cowban

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 July 20 14:16 BST (UK) »
My grandad was one of nine brothers
Regards
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 July 20 16:36 BST (UK) »
I've found a "run" of several girls, a few times, then a boy. I'd always assumed that they just "kept on going" until they got a son, to carry on the family business, for in all but one case, there were no further children born in that marriage.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Most children of same sex in a row
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 July 20 08:47 BST (UK) »
Nothing to do with your original post but I do wonder why people named their children the same as their siblings children and then their children the same.

eg John Hayward, son John Hayward (fair enough), but then other sons name their children John, then their children John....

So John Hayward has 3 grandchildren called John Hayward etc all living in the same place and also other grandchildren John (children of his daughters) - you can just imagine "This is my grandson John and this is John and this is John .......)

Other names also apply.

These days you wouldn't name your child the same as your siblings children especially if you have the same surname.

My Great Gran was pretty obsessive about following naming patterns.  My Gran chose names for my Mum and my Uncle but was ordered to change them to specific names to follow the naming pattern.  My generation continued the family tradition for choosing middle names but first names are all different.  My Great Gran must have been birling.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 July 20 12:24 BST (UK) »
These days you wouldn't name your child the same as your siblings children especially if you have the same surname.

As genealogy fans it is common to note many uses of the same Christian name within a family as there were societies where strict naming conventions were followed i.e. three sons all with firstborn sons named after the grandfather. Probably more common than you would think even now. Definitely a tradition in more northern parts of Britain.

I still have a maths book from my youth with pictures of families lined up. Probability chapter. I seem to remember one family with 19 sons ranging from a babe in his mother's arms up to the eldest son towering over his father. Cannot remember the odds quoted.

deebel
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 July 20 15:28 BST (UK) »

As genealogy fans it is common to note many uses of the same Christian name within a family as there were societies where strict naming conventions were followed i.e. three sons all with firstborn sons named after the grandfather. Probably more common than you would think even now. Definitely a tradition in more northern parts of Britain.

I still have a maths book from my youth with pictures of families lined up. Probability chapter. I seem to remember one family with 19 sons ranging from a babe in his mother's arms up to the eldest son towering over his father. Cannot remember the odds quoted.

deebel

If you assume the odds of having a boy are 50% then there is a 25% chance of having 2 sons in a row, 12.5% chance of 3 sons in a row and so on.  There would be a 0.02% chance of having 19 boys in a row. 

However it is not as simple as that in practice.  The divide is more 51%49%.  There was a study done that suggested that if a family had 3 boys their 4th child was more likely to be a boy but it was a very small sample size so can't be considered as definitive.  There are some theories that suggest that women may be more able to carry one gender or another.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 10:23 BST (UK) »
Must be problematic for the aristocracy who are desperate to produce a son to retain a title Duke/Earl/Sir etc.

Had a school friend who was one of ten children - the five first-born being girls followed by five boys.

Offline Janpearey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Most children of same sex in a row
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 May 21 03:31 BST (UK) »
eg John Hayward, son John Hayward (fair enough), but then other sons name their children John, then their children John....

So John Hayward has 3 grandchildren called John Hayward etc all living in the same place and also other grandchildren John (children of his daughters) - you can just imagine "This is my grandson John and this is John and this is John .......)

This is not encouraging me.  I am searching for a John Hayward, who married my great grandaunt and I can find no records of him before their marriage, and he didn't put any father's name on the marriage record.   So I must resort to finding John Haywards and looking for clues.   I may need to give up on this one.