Author Topic: Most children of same gender in a row  (Read 6102 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Most children of same gender in a row
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 16:16 BST (UK) »
I think the most of one gender I've ever seen in a row was 5, so nothing like the records that you have all included!

The thing I found strangest about naming conventions was naming younger siblings the same name as older, deceased children. Even if those older children had lived a few years.

When I first encountered it, I was convinced I was wrong, but I think someone here explained that I wasn't. I've noticed it now in several families, particularly in one region.

I don't think people would do that these days. Perhaps because we are fortunate enough that child mortality is quite low, thank goodness.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 17:24 BST (UK) »

The thing I found strangest about naming conventions was naming younger siblings the same name as older, deceased children. Even if those older children had lived a few years.
When I first encountered it, I was convinced I was wrong, but I think someone here explained that I wasn't. I've noticed it now in several families, particularly in one region.

The family of 13 children, 10 girls and 3 boys that I mentioned in my reply #8 lost 2nd daughter and 1st son both aged 2. They were named for grandparents so the next baby of each gender to be born was given the name of the deceased sibling.
My run of 7 boys includes one (number 4 in the sequence) who was given the same name as his half-brother who had died when a baby. It was their paternal grandfather's name. The daughter born at the end of the 7 son sequence shared her name with a half-sister who died aged 6. It was their grandmother's name.
The important thing was carrying on certain names.

Cowban

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 17:31 BST (UK) »
It reminds me of a lovely lady I knew who had 7 beautiful daughters.
When the last one was born, dad went to the telephone box on the corner (no phones/no fathers at the birth) to check up.
When she came home with new baby daughter, she asked one of the girls, ‘What did your daddy say when he told you about the new baby?’
The child gave a big sigh as she imitated her daddy, ‘Another girl.’
Needless to say, he was very proud of all his daughters.  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 22:51 BST (UK) »
I have one family who had seven Sons, then after a gap of three years they had a Daughter. Two of the Sons married Sisters.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 23:49 BST (UK) »
My grandmother, in my avatar, had 7 sons in a row, including a set of triplets. Although many of my other ancestors had large families (every 2 years or so until menopausal), they were all mixed  :D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 May 21 23:53 BST (UK) »
In one census that asked how many years married and how many living children, the wife of my OH's ancestor wrote 18 (eighteen) children.

There was only one girl Frances Phoebe.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 00:06 BST (UK) »
My gg-grandparents had eight sons and two daughters; the last six were all sons.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 01:22 BST (UK) »
My h-sister's lot.  She's a Kerr her GG Uncle, a sailor had 10 girls. 

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 08:37 BST (UK) »
My great great Smith grandparents had six sons in a row before their daughter Annie Alberta Louisa was born,then another son followed by two more daughters.

Sadly Annie was only 5 years old when she died. The last daughter was also called Annie presumably after her sister.

Their mother died two years after the last child was born. By coincidence Annie Alberta Louisa was born the same date in October as my late father.