Author Topic: Prudence Hempstead - c.1720 - Stradishall?  (Read 525 times)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Prudence Hempstead - c.1720 - Stradishall?
« on: Friday 24 July 20 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Prudence Hempstead (or similar) was my 6xGt Grandmother.  She died in Denston, Suffolk in 1795. 

She was married to Nicholas Hurrell (or similar) - I have seen an apparent marriage recorded online as 18/10/1741 in Stradishall, Suffolk, but have not found a record for this.

I believe Prudence to have been born around 1720, but again, cannot find a record.  If she was married in Stradishall, I suppose this would be a good place to start.

I would like to find out who her parents were, if at all possible, please. 

Many thanks,
Emma
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Prudence Hempstead - c.1720 - Stradishall?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 July 20 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

These enties may be of help;
The marriage records for Stradishall have been transcribed by the Suffolk FHS and the marriage is recorded as 13-10-1742. The only additional info is that Nicholas Hurrold was a widower from Wickhambrook.

Prudence Hempsted bapt.. 29-11-1718 Cowlinge St.Margaret (d/o Benjamin & Mary)  other baptisms are;
22-10-1725  Catherine Hempstead
15-3-1723    John                "
28-1-1721    Prudence        "           (entered as Hempseed)
9-3-1729      Robert              "
all children of Benjamin & Mary

10-1-1698    Martha       Hempsted (d/o Benjamin & Martha)
17-3-1700    Mary                  "           "         "          "   

all the above from the BTs.

The following may be relevant;
7-6-1735      Elizabeth   Hemstead  (d/o Benjamin & Elizabeth)  (entered as Hamstead) Wickhambrook All Saints
7-3-1734      Benjamin    Hemsted      "         "              "
19-1-1739    John                 "           "          "              "
29-6-1740    Thomas            "            "          "              "

Marriage;
27-9-1715 Benjamin Hempstead of Cowlinge - to Mary How of Cowlinge - married in Hundon All Saints (BTs)
10-7-1708      "         Hempsted of Cowlinge - to Rachel Burles pf Thorpe - marr in Gt.Thurlow All Saints
5-10-1732      "               "           to  Elizabeth Franklin - marr Ousden St.Peter

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 July 20 18:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the information - I'll digest it all properly when I'm back in front of the laptop. Really helpful, thank you!
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 July 20 20:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for the time and effort you have put in.

Further to the earlier questions, there were two Nicholas Hurrell (or similarly spelled):

Father, Nicholas Hurrell - 1691 Glemsford
Son, Nicholas Hurrell - 1722 Glemsford

If the marriage of Nicholas Hurrold and Prudence Hempstead was in 1742, and Nicholas was a widower, would Nicholas jr be a likely candidate?

Although only young at the time, Nicholas jr and Prudence had children in Denston, whereas Nicholas sr had his family (up to 1725) in Glemsford.

At the present time, I've got Prudence linked to Nicholas jr, but of course, that might not be correct.  Are there any death records for either Nicholas, to try and clarify things further?

Many thanks,
Emma

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 July 20 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

There is Nicholas Hurrel bur. 4-12-1779 Glemsford St.Mary and a
Nicholas Hurrell bur. 2-2-1795, Labr. in Denston St.Nicholas.

These are the only entries I could see in the Suffolk Burial index CD from Suffolk FHS.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 July 20 09:47 BST (UK) »
Suffolk FHS transcripts suggest that the first marriage of Prudence's husband may have been very brief:

Nicholas HARROLD married Mary COCKERTON at Clare on 12 December 1736.

Mary HARROLD was buried at Clare on 11 April 1737.

If any further details were registered, they would probably have been copied.

David

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 July 20 09:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks both for the replies.

David - thanks for the new info. Certainly seems to make sense for Nicholas Jr to be the candidate. How sad to be widowed at such a young age, although I dare say it wasn't uncommon then.

Thanks again,
Emma