Author Topic: Puzzling 1737 marriage document  (Read 187 times)

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Puzzling 1737 marriage document
« on: Friday 24 July 20 16:57 BST (UK) »
During the course of my family history research I have often come across marriage licences. The latest one I have found for my 5G Grandparents is rather puzzling because before the marriage details it states what appears to be an obligation to pay 100 (to the vicar?) which I reckon is about 15,000 in today's money. That seems to be an extraordinary amount for a lowly weaver to have to pay, so perhaps I'm not reading it correctly. Can anyone please throw any light on what this document is about?
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright
(Mainly Lancs and Cheshire)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzling 1737 marriage document
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 July 20 17:01 BST (UK) »
It is a marriage bond.
A  visit to the clergyman issuing the licence resulted in three documents, an allegation or affidavit, a marriage bond and the licence. Bonds were a very common legal device. By entering into a bond a person would agree for instance that a statement was true, for a marriage  that there was no "lawful let or impediment" to the proposed marriage. If this was not the case  a penalty was due to the church official concerned, if the marriage did not take place the bond was irrelevant. A marriage bond would mention the two people who wanted to get married, not just one.  By the late 18th Century the penalty was 200. I would expect that they would not have to prove they had the money. After 1823 bonds ceased to be necessary.
See https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Marriage_Allegations,_Bonds_and_Licences_in_England_and_Wales
Stan
Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 July 20 17:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Stan for your clear explanation and the interesting link which gave more information. I'm surprised that my research hasn't thrown up one of these bonds before. I wonder if anyone ever did default and how on earth they would pay such a large amount!
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright
(Mainly Lancs and Cheshire)

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 July 20 20:50 BST (UK) »
Better to change their name and hot-foot it out of the parish!!  ;D
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.