Author Topic: William Verner Gilpin Armagh Loughgall  (Read 4540 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Verner Gilpin Armagh Loughgall
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 17:58 BST (UK) »
I'm still leaning toward my Isabella Gilpin being a child of William Verner (mostly due to the death cert listing father as Wm V. Gilpin).  I found a notation (not proven out yet) that the Isabella who is the daughter of William's brother Richard died in 1864, so if true, no chance she is my Isabella bringing me back to mine being Wm V's daughter.
You can view the death certificate via GRONI (pay per view) but this extract indicates that father Richard was the informant (parents' names are not included on death registrations but informant's relationship usually given)-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QG2T-X2P6
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 05 May 21 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you, that then confirms that Richard's Isabella is NOT my Isabella as mine lived to move to the US and died in CT in 1915.  Which brings me back to thinking that my Isabella Gilpin is the daughter of William Verner her dob being sometime around 1858 prior to civil records which is why I can't find her and absolutely prove once and for all she is William's daughter.

Thanks again,
Laura

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 06 May 21 14:36 BST (UK) »
eileenwilson, do you have anything that indicates Richard Gilpin (Doctor, I believe) and Dinah Thompson are William Verner's Parents?  Any siblings to William?

Thanks,
Laura

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 06 May 21 14:47 BST (UK) »
Belfast Newsletter, 8 Mar.1842: I HEREBY caution the Public not to ... my wife, DINAH GILPIN, otherwise ... anything on my account, as I will not pay any Debts she may contract in my name after this date. RICHARD GILPIN. LOUGHGALL, March 7, 1842.

Northern Whig, 12 July 1880: GILPIN—At the residence of her brother, William John Thompson, Carnban, Lisburn, Dinah, relict of the late Dr. Gilpin. Her remains will be removed for Interment in Lisburn Cathedral Burying-ground, on to-morrow (Tuesday), 13th instant. Friends ...
Unfortunately her brother William was the informant-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1880/06470/4861144.pdf

I did find this death- Richard Gilpin, farmer, Copney, informant- son William Verner Gilpin (signed by his mark which makes me doubt his father was the above Dr. Richard Gilpin)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1873/020682/7256771.pdf

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 06 May 21 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you...yes, I don't think Dr. Richard Gilpin and Dinah are William Verner's parents.  KatC about a year ago put up the Seagoe records earlier on this post and I completely missed the following...now thinking William's father is a different Richard:

2/10/1856   gilpin   William Verner Gilpin 22 b farmer copney richard gilpin farmer   Eliza Jane Gilpin Ballinor james gilpin Farmer         
2/10/1856   gilpin   Eliza Jane Gilpin Ballinor james gilpin Farmer   William Verner Gilpin 22 b farmer copney richard gilpin farmer

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 06 May 21 14:54 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this has been posted-
Newry Telegraph, 22 Mar.1849: On the _th inst., Copney, near Loughgall, at the advanced age of _ years, Sarah, relict of the late Mr. John Gilpin, of said place, and mother of Richard Gilpin, M.D.

Offline juli2022

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 04 August 22 18:30 BST (UK) »
Moy PARISH RECORDS (ST JAMES )    Partial Gilpin extract done in 1996
It shows that Dr. Richard Gilpin who was married to Dinah was not William Verner Gilpin's father
as he is listed separately
 (a list of parishioners by townland, giving head of house and members of household, compiled in 1852 and revised to 1860)
John, Copney, 50 years, Wife Sarah 50, Richard Thompson 20, George 19,
     William James 15, Sally Regan 13, Charlotte Elisa 10.
      (All then deleted, possibly 1860 since this family moved to Canada)          M. R. P31        No. 8
Richard,Copney,  a country doctor.                                                              M. R. P31 No. 10
Richard, Copney, 47 years, Wife Rachel 47. Sarah 24, Margaret 22, David 20,
          William Verner 15, Isabella 13, Rachel 9.
Thomas, Copney, 45 years, Wife Alice Jane 35.  Richard 7, Thomas Love 9, John 5, Francis 4, Ann
             2.                (Sinclair born 1852)    (Rachel born 1862)

Offline juli2022

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 15:14 BST (UK) »
-there were at least 2 Richard Gilpins in Copney in the early 1800's
-please review https://irishdeedsindex.net/index.php
 -specifically  memorial 5644525   Dec 28 1828  Gilpin to Matchett vol 842 pg 25
-it mentions a transaction between Richard Gilpin Surgeon and John Gilpin farmer both of Copney in the county of Armagh  and John Matchet of Derryanville in said county of Armagh farmer
-witnesses were Richard Gilpin of Copney in the County of Armagh weaver and John Courtney Gilpin of the same place weaver
-the two Richards are different people - one was a surgeon and one was a weaver/farmer

Offline juli2022

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 15:18 BST (UK) »
William Verner Gilpin was probably named after Sir William Verner 2nd Baronet (4 April 1822 – 10 January 1873  - who owned estates both in the county of Armagh and the county of Tyrone