Author Topic: walker family eastwood hall  (Read 19070 times)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: walker family eastwood hall
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hello....  :)

Ellinor /Eleanore (So many different spellings ) was the daughter of RC Bourne

According to the baptism record it implies she was illegitimate as only her mother's name is recorded as Sarah Ann Glew, I think Richard Bourne took her on as his own when he and her mother married.

Births Mar 1851   
GLEW    Eleanor -  Radford    15 697

Marriage at Radford St Peter - 19th January 1854
RICHARD CARMICHAEL BOURNE & SARAH ANNE GLEW

I have never found any records of Ellinor after Alexander died

There was one thing that I thought was a really weird coincidence...... was this marriage....

Harington  Eleanore - Kensington  1a 298

One of the grooms was a Herbert Thomas EDWARDS and then finding that in 1881 Eleanor was in the household of an Edward's family and one of their son's was a Herbert Thomas Edwards.

1881 - RG11/1058 /  67 / 8 - Ashhurst Wood, East Grinstead, Sussex

Herbert Thomas Edwards is only 21 and given as single and Eleanor Harrington a widow, aged 30 and a Lady.

Offline cdrmain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 23:09 BST (UK) »
Dave - thanks so much for the offer to answer questions.

Yes - I also found the 1881 census record where Eleanor Harrington was a boarder in the Edwards household in East Grinstead. I did find the death of an Eleanor Harrington (born in 1851) in Kensington in 1912. (I said it was Emma Harrington in my earlier post yesterday - but it IS Eleanor)  However that would not make as much sense if she married Herbert Thomas Edwards. I will try to check out that possible marriage.

I do have one question about Rhinefield. I did not think this belonged to the Munro family when Mabel and Edward married (although it might have) because they were from Lindertis in Scotland (Edward Lionel was the brother of the famous Munro who climbed all the mountains) and had a house in Eaton Square in London, where they can be found in the census records. Histories of Rhinefield say that it was given to Mabel by her father when she married - but it belonged to the Crown until 1877 by which time, as we know, her father was dead. Could it have been bought by his executors as an investment I wonder and passed to her when she gained control of her inheritance? 

Do you know what happened to Mabel between 1871 and 1887 when she married? I only have those two fixed points of the 1871 and 1881 census records.

Do you know the exact date of Eleanor's marriage to Thomas Walker in 1865? What was the cause of Thomas's death? Given how wealthy they were, why did Eleanor not remain at Eastwood Hall to bring up Mabel?

Any help with this would be much appreciated. I was not intending to write a book about the Walkers - but having visited Rhinefield (now a hotel) I was fascinated by the story of the original owners, particularly Mabel, and wanted to find out more. I think there is enough material for a book though!

Offline cdrmain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 23:48 BST (UK) »
I checked out the Eleanore Harington marriage - but it was in 1880 - so does not fit with the 1881 census record as she and Herbert would have been married by then. Unless they married secretly!

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 April 12 19:45 BST (UK) »
Eleanor Harrington (born in 1851) in Kensington in 1912
I am guessing you mean this death?

Deaths Sep 1912   
HARRINGTON    Eleanor - aged  61 - Kensington    1a 137

This Eleanor can be found on the census before her death in Kensington with her 25 year old daughter - but she gives her birthplace as Cumberland.

Offline cdrmain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 April 12 22:24 BST (UK) »
OK thanks - that's probably not relevant then

Offline AlexJane

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 May 14 03:32 BST (UK) »
Dave: I have photos for you of Rhinefield House but have lost touch with you.  Can you contact me?
Alexandra

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 02 June 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex,

Welcome to RootsChat.

I am very sorry but we too have lost contact with Dave, sadly his emails are no longer working :'(

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk