Author Topic: walker family eastwood hall  (Read 19068 times)

Offline cdrmain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: walker family eastwood hall
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 April 12 19:17 BST (UK) »
Ah - fantastic, thank you - that all fits. She was born Eleanor Glew (poss single mother?) then her mother subsequently married Richard Bourne so she become Eleanor Glew Bourne. So, just need to find out what happened to her when her husband died and the Walkers left Eastwood.

There are a couple of other surnames kicking about. Thomas's mother Emma's maiden name was Crawford. The Crawfords came from Ayrshire. There were three sisters, Emma, Julia and Frances. It was Frances that Mabel was living with in Teddington when Thomas died. By 1881, Mabel had returned to Nottingham, to Sneinton Hollows Manor House, to live with Susan Davidson who is described a cousin. She was the widow of James Davidson who was one of the executors of Thomas Walker's will.

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 April 12 19:29 BST (UK) »
Here you go..... :)

Nottinghamshire Guardian -  Friday, February 18, 1876

Marriage
On the 11th December last at St George's, Hanover Square.
Alexander Stuart Harrington, Esq, late Rifle Brigade.
To ELEANORE, widow of the late Thomas Walker, Esq, Eastwood Hall, Notts, and only daughter of the late Richard Carmichael Bourne, Esq, formerly of the 3rd Dragoon Guards. No Cards.

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 April 12 19:40 BST (UK) »
Poor Eleanor she is a widow again by 1881... RG11/Piece 1058/Folio 67/Page 8 - East Grinstead

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent - Saturday, September 07, 1878
Deaths
HARRINGTON - Sept 2nd, at The Beeches, East Grinstead of inflammation of the lungs, late Lieutenant Rifle Brigade, and Captain 2nd Royal Lancashire Militia.

Offline cdrmain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 April 12 20:09 BST (UK) »
It get's more and more intriguing! So Mabel was not an orphan at all - for some reason her mother was side-lined. She did not inherit the Walker fortune when Thomas died and her 4 year-old daughter was taken away from her (or she abandoned her). Eleanor's name was then Harrington - which explains why I could not find a record of her death. And was she actually the daughter of Richard Bourne, or not? I do not yet have the exact date yet of her marriage to Thomas Walker but it was between 7 and 10 months from the  birth of Mabel and it seemed odd that the wedding was in London when Thomas and Eleanor were both from Nottingham.

Offline cdrmain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 April 12 20:15 BST (UK) »
I have found an Emma Harrington who died in Kensington in 1912, aged 61. Could that be her?

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 April 12 21:20 BST (UK) »
It looks like the Susan Davidson you mentioned is linked to Mabel through her mother Eleanor's second marriage to Alexander Stuart Harrington and so Susan Davidson is his sister.

The Caledonian Mercury (Edinburgh, Scotland), Friday, October 20, 1865
Marriage
DAVIDSON - HARRINGTON - At Torrance Lodge, on the 17th inst, by the Very Rev. Dean Henderson.
JAMES DAVIDSON Esq, Major 1st Inniskilling Dragoons, to SUSAN, only daughter of the late Robert HARRINGTON, Esq of Terrance Lodge, co Lanark, and granddaughter of the late Sir John Harrington, Bart, of Ridlington, co Rutland.

There is a tantalising snippet here = Burke's Peerage Limited, 1914
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0lfo/

I can see it mentioning Alexander Stuart (Harrington) marrying Elinor widow of Thomas Walker of Eastwood Hall... then underneath mentions Susan m 16th Oct 1865 James Davidson

Offline cdrmain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 April 12 22:53 BST (UK) »
Presumably Thomas Walker and James Davidson were friends or business colleagues (hence James's appointment as executor for Thomas). Eleanor must have met her second husband through Susan, his wife. Whether Mabel ever lived with her mother and Alexander Harrington after they married in 1876 we do not know - but by 1881 Mabel is living with Sarah, whose husband and brother are both dead. Odd that Mabel is described in the 1881 census as a cousin of Susan. Surely your brother's step-daughter would normally be described as a niece. Thank you so much for all your help!

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 April 12 23:09 BST (UK) »
You are welcome.... I think there will be lots more for you to discover.

I was surprised to see Thomas Walker married Eleanor in 1865 at St Martin in the Field, she was very young?!

There is the probate entry for Alexander Stuart Harington/Harrington on Ancestry, it does name Eleanor as his widow and one of the Executors.

Offline DKing

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 19:34 BST (UK) »
Right!
You have most facts correct, I have been tracing the Walker and Walker-Munro's for 20 years and Ellinor /Eleanore (So many different spellings ) was the daughter of RC Bourne and yes she did marry Alexander Stuart Harington, and yes Mabel was never an orphan, I have never found any records of Ellinor after Alexander died, Susan Davidson was Alexanders brother and the crawford family mentioned was spelled Crawfurd, Mabel did marry E L Munro of Rhinefield she had a 250,000 trust fund when she married and her father left an estate of 120,000 pounds in 1871 so very wealthy family, if anyone has any Questions re the family just ask, so much to tell that I would be writing page after page so anything specific let me know, I intend writing a book on the family and have had help from the living family so anyone want to help in writing it also let me know as I have all the info but never had  time to write it down.

Dave K