Author Topic: Just a question  (Read 456 times)

Offline HywelD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Just a question
« on: Saturday 25 July 20 04:52 BST (UK) »
Is it possible on this forum, to see an old negative as it would be after developing ?

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Just a question
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 July 20 10:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, as long as it's not of a living person. The trick is to get as high a resolution of scan as you can, as negatives are generally small.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 July 20 10:09 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few threads over the years giving advice on how to scan old negatives. As Trystan says, the trick is to scan at as high a resolution as possible.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 July 20 10:12 BST (UK) »
Gadget it might just be my iPad,  but when I click on that link you've posted it just takes me to a search page? Any chance you could direct me as I'd be interested to read that thread. As part of our lockdown , we relocated a tin of old negative film of my husbands and we were talking about what to do with it! Thanks.
North East of England

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 July 20 10:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry CF - I put 'scanning old negatives' into the search facility and got a list of posts. I then put the link up and then realised that it just took you to Search, so I deleted it. 

If you enter  a similar search term, you'll get the listing that I was trying to put up.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 July 20 12:11 BST (UK) »
I scan mine shiny side down and place a piece of white card on top of it to keep it flat, then scan at the highest resolution that your scanner allows. Brush it first with a soft brush to remove loose dust particles, I use a soft bristle shaving brush.We can turn them into a positive image for you.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline HywelD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 July 20 17:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replies, much appreciated. I shall do as you suggest.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 July 20 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks gadget. I'm pleased it wasn't my iPad playing up ( though I am hoping Santa might get me a new one this year ) !
North East of England