Author Topic: CHARLIE WILMER BOXING, GYMNASTICS, PHYSICAL TRAINING  (Read 373 times)

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CHARLIE WILMER BOXING, GYMNASTICS, PHYSICAL TRAINING
« on: Saturday 25 July 20 10:49 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my Family History and in doing so I have also 'looked' at people my late Father: GEORGE ALFRED WILLARD [b.1911 Robertsbridge] grew up with.  As a result I have been in contact with a friend whose late Father: EDWARD CHARLES WILMER (known as Charlie Wilmer) [b.1908 Gillingham] was close to my Father.

I have learned that Charlie Wilmer had been a 'Physical Training Instructor' as part of or assigned to: 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars some time before WW2. 
He started a Gymnastics Club with the assistance of: S. CRITTENDEN Late Royal Navy in Robertsbridge in the early 1930's

Before World War 2 my Father had been in the village Boxing Club as had Charlie Wilmer, they worked together at the Gypsum Mines of Robertsbridge and Mountfield, Sussex.  In April 1939 they both joined Royal Sussex Regiment TA, in September they became 'Regular Soldiers' in C Company, 5th Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment.

In 1940 they went to France with their Regiment as part of the B.E.F, My Father as a Private, Charlie as a Corporal.  With the Army in withdrawal towards Dunkirk, my father on 29 May 1940 was captured near Arras and became a POW until Liberation in 1945.  Charlie Wilmer was captured at a different location but at about the same time and became a POW until June 1944 when he was repatriated back to England.

My friend (daughter of Charlie Wilmer) has applied to the MOD for her Father's Army Service Record, but with the Covid 19 pandemic there is a delay in the processing of all applications.

I would like to know if any members of this Forum have any knowledge of Charlie Wilmer in the 1920s and 1930s, especially his involvement with: Gymnastics, Boxing, St John's Ambulance Brigade and involvement with 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars.  The activities listed were predominantly at Robertsbridge, Sussex, but part of his childhood and teens was at Ticehurst, Sussex.

I have two photos of Charlie Wilmer alongside my Father which I can display if requested.

I would appreciate any help.
Thank you

RoyW

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CHARLIE WILMER BOXING, GYMNASTICS, PHYSICAL TRAINING
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 July 20 11:34 BST (UK) »
No personal knowledge but you could check for his name in local newspapers to see if any stories pop up.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 July 20 15:43 BST (UK) »
He was illegitimate.  Surname is Wilmer on birth reg but Willmer on 1975 death reg. 
1928 marriage reg - Willmer & if he remarried in 1971 it is also spelt Willmer

Just in case records cannot be found under Wilmer
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 July 20 16:15 BST (UK) »

From Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 26 August 1933

A Mrs Andrews of Bantony visited the Gymnasium Club.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 July 20 17:01 BST (UK) »
Milliepede, CaroleW and Kiltaglassan

Thank you for your help, I will look more closer at Newspaper archives. 
With regard to his birth, his daughter has carried out research into his mother and father. 
Not sure if he was illegitimate, but was certainly abandoned after birth. 
He was brought up by the Humphrey family in Ticehurst.
He did not remarry after his wife died, I believe he passed away in 1975.

I did find it confusing at first with regard to his surname, I think Charlie changed the spelling of his surname from Wilmer to Willmer in the years after World War 2.

I had a similar problem with my Family Name: Willard.  In some Census Records it was shown as Williard and not a transcription error.

But again Thank you for your assistance, much appreciated.
Regards
RoyW46

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 July 20 17:06 BST (UK) »
One more for you  ;)

Gymnastic Display
Hastings and St Leonards Observer - Saturday 08 April 1933

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 July 20 18:40 BST (UK) »
Definitely illegitimate.  Tree on Ancestry shows his mother as Daisy Winifred Wilmer who married John H Shelah in 1914
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)