Author Topic: Birth cert  (Read 361 times)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth cert
« on: Saturday 25 July 20 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
          did you need a birth certificate to join the forces (Connaught Rangers) back in 1915 and would you need a birth certificate if you got married in Galway Ireland in 1921. the reason I am asking is my great uncle whom I have a marriage cert and proof of him joining the army  (word of mouth).  He does not seem to have one as I have contacted BDM ie  and paid up front for a cert but they came up with the wrong one saying they could not find him with the information I gave them, I have also searched Ancestry and Find my past to no avail, sooo I am thinking maybe he did not have one.
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth cert
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 July 20 16:00 BST (UK) »
Given how many fibbed about their age to join the army I would think not, also my grand uncle clearly didn't use his when he signed up, it wasn't correct until he was retiring from work in the 1940s. He wasn't a female called Jane as the birth cert claimed.
Baptism may possibly have been needed for marriage not birth certs.

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 July 20 17:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sinann,
                         don't think I will have much luck with a babtism  as I am  thinking he was a natural child as they used to say.
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 July 20 17:41 BST (UK) »
It was common for an unmarried mother to have her child/ren baptized.  The priest might have used some form of words in the register to indicate this was the case.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 July 20 17:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks John,

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 July 20 18:02 BST (UK) »
You might not register a birth but if they were RC they wouldn't dare not baptise.