Author Topic: Unknown Boats ?  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown Boats ????
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 July 20 12:51 BST (UK) »
Whilst I wouldn’t rule out Barrow, the boats, to me look more like tourist boats than ocean going liners. There are also at least five of them so it has to be somewhere “touristy” with a considerable number of people. Barrow is a bit “on the road to nowhere”; more of an industrial town and I can’t imagine where people would sail too or round from there.

It still seems more likely that it’s either a large lake or a tourist hot-spot; e.g. the Clyde.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 July 20 13:20 BST (UK) »
Could I suggest Gourock / Greenock.  Princes Pier Rail Station at the West end of Greenock near to Gourock.  If all these boats were Day cruising then Gourock and Greenock would be suitable for Arran, Belfast, Dublin and Isle of Man.  My home port of Ardrossan certainly had plenty of Ships sailing for Larne, Brodick, Belfast, Isle of Man and Dublin in the 1950s, but from stone built harbours, not timber.

Is there any chance of MORE Pixels to try and identify the boats?
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 July 20 13:54 BST (UK) »
hi
   being a gourock man myself, Ian is on the right track
though the pier is not one on our side of the river
Gourock and Greenock certainly had the capacity
to fill all those boats in the photo as
i remember the days in summers past
when you could nt find standing room on the Gourock pier,
most clyde cruises left from gourock and went to many different
places, but at night not all boats berthed there
some berthed at Kilmun some Gourock and others Craigendoran,
the first boat out was from craigendoran it was known as the mail run,
in the 50s and 60s not all steamers on the clyde where paddle steamers
other than the 3 previously mentioned there was the maids that where  smaller
than those in the photo,
unfortunately i m not old enough to remember them all,
if it is the clyde its deffinitely from the Helensburgh side of the river
and looks good for the Craigendoran pier which would certainly have had that number of boats berthed at night,
the number of steamers  that ran from Gourock back in its heyday would have been
around 12 different boats everyday

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 July 20 14:23 BST (UK) »
with more pixels to magnify we could identify the white building high above the sea level just above the 'man in a row-boat'.  If Greenock or Gourock, this could be the Old Asylum & Poor-house or the original Ravenscraig Hospital or the Paper Mill.  just guessing though!
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 July 20 14:59 BST (UK) »
hi Ian i think its more likely a sugar refinery asylum is red sandstone ropeworks red brick
there is few buildings it could be

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 July 20 15:25 BST (UK) »
You could be right there.  I'd been checking older maps before the Refinery was built but I now remember it well.  As I was driving East along Drumfrochar Road I was assaulted by the most horrendous smell coming into the car, so strong it was painful enough to make your eyes water.  My companion that day was a local Insurance Agent who suggested it was because we were approaching Strone ( a local joke I found out the following week when accompanying another agent around the scheme) but we were passing the Sugar Factory at the time and we put it down to some process which produced noxious fumes.  Only later did we discover the Scotch Glue factory just around the corner which boiled up animal bones and I think used acid as well.  It now reminds me of the Academy's Technical Room where the Joiner in charge always had a tin pot of glue over a camping gaz ring for our woodwork efforts.  Hot Scotch Glue, that puts hairs on your chest, and you'll never get them off again.  My last trip along there the Sugar Factory had gone.

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 July 20 15:59 BST (UK) »
I thought it could be Craigendoran but I can't quite line it up with hills.
I now think it can't be Craigendoranifthe view is from Middleton Drive - on the shore. The natural background of hills wouldn't fit. Don't know if that helps to rule it in or out?

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 July 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
hi
  i m totally convinced myself but i m trying to i m thinking photo was taken from down on the shore
but thats guess work as to whether that would alter the hill line and the angle of the shot is more towards Langbank if this is the case could the white building be Gleddoch house or the old langbank hotel,
and Ian i ve been asking some older menbers of my familly and mentioned your smell
most reacted with Blimey quite a few of them where  brought up around there

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 July 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
I reckon it's Douglas, Isle of Man! ;D

The white building in the distance is the former Falcon Cliff hotel, I think.
See: http://www.island-images.co.uk/2017/1711/171124122356.html (more modern picture)
and: http://manxscenes.com/Nov%2004/falcon.htm
and: https://www.culturevannin.im/exploremore/places/historic-douglas-promenade-401664/

Also IoMSPCo ships had red funnels with black tops.

Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)