Author Topic: Royal Engineer John Scales of Yorkshire  (Read 546 times)

Offline cvbob1947

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Engineer John Scales of Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 July 20 23:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have that information.  I need more proof and hence need to find the original application forms.
England: Scales, Ingham, Perkins, Hayward, Calver, Boliver, Shambrook, Poulter, Day,
Wales: Ingham, Powell, Boliver

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 09:07 BST (UK) »
You may wish to read the National Archives guidance on soldiers before 1913.
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-soldiers-up-to-1913/
Note particularly Attestation records were created but relatively few survive and those that do tend to be found only among the papers of those discharged to pensions.
Presumably you have subscriptions to Ancestry and Findmypast (which have been searched) and perhaps other family history sites?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 15:00 BST (UK) »
John Scales appears in the 1851 census and thus shows up in the Army Worldwide database for 1851.  He does not show up in 1861 which suggests he did not serve to pension.  From the guide In general, if a soldier died in service or/and did not receive an army pension it is much less likely there will be any detailed record of his service – muster rolls and pay lists may be all that survive.

The attached is a clip from the discharge papers of  man who attested in 1848 and wss discharged, with a pension due to sickness, in 1849.  There is, as you see, no date of birth given, just the age he stated on attestation.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline cvbob1947

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 19:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.  He does not show up in later census as he moved to British Columbia, Canada where he has many, many children, grand children, etc. 
He was given 2 large parcels of land in what is now Sechelt located ( via BC Ferry ride ) north of Vancouver.  I have a fairly detailed tree for his family, and I have been able to trace his spouse's family as well.
From the marriage record his father was also John, but no record of his birth as noted in the census.
Thanks again for the other information, I will keep searching and hope that one day I am successful.
Kind Regards, Bob Scales in the Comox Valley on Vancouver Island.
England: Scales, Ingham, Perkins, Hayward, Calver, Boliver, Shambrook, Poulter, Day,
Wales: Ingham, Powell, Boliver

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 20:01 BST (UK) »
Good luck!
MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk