Author Topic: John Park LINN - 5th Dragoon Guards - Chelsea Pensioner  (Read 182 times)

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
  • John PARK and Louisa Jane PARK (nee STOREY) 1889
    • View Profile
John Park LINN - 5th Dragoon Guards - Chelsea Pensioner
« on: Sunday 26 July 20 02:53 BST (UK) »
Seeking assistance to determine if John Park LINN listed as a Chelsea Pensioner 3852 of the 5th Dragoon Guards in 1892 could be the same John Park LINN who served in WW1 in the Rifle Brigade / Labor Corps. The person I am interested in was born around 1870 in Glasgow, Scotland to George LINN and Ann Graham LINN (nee PARK).

I currently don't have access  to Chelsea Pensioner Records so any information as to this mans service history / reason for being a Chelsea pensioner and any personal details (DOB etc / place of birth) from either period would be greatly appreciated. Further to this I believe he had a son also called John Park LINN however he wasn't born until 1095 and subsequently went to Australia where her served during WW2.   

Thanking you in advance

Regards

Sturdy
STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

MILLER family London (Bethnal Green, Mile End Old Town) & Auckland, NZ

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Park LINN - 5th Dragoon Guards - Chelsea Pensioner
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 July 20 05:56 BST (UK) »
I take it you mean that he was in the Dragoon Guards in 1892, not a Chelsea Pensioner in 1892.
So,  is this the sequence of events (1) born 1870 (2) served in 5th Dragoon Guards in 1892 (3) served in Rifle Brigade 1914-18 (4)Chelsea Pensioner ?

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 July 20 06:06 BST (UK) »
Looking back over the references I have that looks correct. He is listed as a Chelsea Pensioner with the enlistment date 1892 (on Ancestry however I don't have the premium package that would enable o delve into the Chelsea Pension records further). There are 2 John Park LINN's serving in WW1 based on the medal cards. One with the Rifle Brigade and one with the Labor Corps which I suspect is the same person? 
STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 July 20 06:22 BST (UK) »
Family Search has mention of a John Park Linn, born Lanarkshire 1871 (estimated), listed as a Chelsea Pensioner, aged 21. If that record was made before May 1892, John , born May 1870, would  have been aged 21.
Incidentally, were you aware that  George  and Ann Linn had a child, John, born 5 May 1869? (Family Search)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 July 20 06:37 BST (UK) »
With reference to the two record cards in the name of John Park Linn for WW1, I think it was sometimes the case where a soldier was unfit for front line service he was transferred to the Labour Corps. If this was "your" J P L, he would have been aged 40+, and possibly a casualty from previous service, so would appear to be a likely candidate.

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 July 20 06:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Brentor. I wasn't aware of the 1869 John LINN so I will look into that further. Likely died very young if subsequent child was also named John.

Many thanks

Sturdy

PARK family Glasgow

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 July 20 09:22 BST (UK) »
There's not much in the 1892 army file. He bought himself out after 3 months service.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 July 20 09:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shaun - sounds like Army life wasn't for him

PARK family Glasgow

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 July 20 10:00 BST (UK) »
Born Govan, age 21 years and 6 months in September 1892, a compositor, father George 371 Cathcart Road, Glasgow
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk