Author Topic: Finding the mourned inscribed in a Mourning Ring.  (Read 593 times)

Offline Maureen59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding the mourned inscribed in a Mourning Ring.
« on: Sunday 26 July 20 04:28 BST (UK) »
Hello, this forum was recommended to me in a FB genealogy group, where I have recently requested some research help.
My Bachelor Uncle passed away a little over a year ago. Among his possessions were two mourning rings. One I have been able to identify as being made in memory of my 3rd great Grandfather. The assumption is that the ring came to Australia with my Great Grandfather when he returned for a visit to his place of birth, Middlesex England, in 1884 from Australia. By this time both his parents were deceased as were most of his siblings. The other ring is a mystery. Another assumption has been made, that the second ring also arrived in Australia at the same time. The rings were together with other family memorabilia from England. What I know about the second ring is that the name inscribed inside it is EH White (sex unknown). Date of death is 20Th Dec 1831. Age of death is 31 years.  It is a very well worn ring so perhaps the deceased was much loved and missed. I have no Whites in my tree. It has been suggested that it could have been a betrothed or the married name of a sister or daughter. Perhaps even a forbidden love? I have thoroughly searched the possibilities in my own family tree, in Ancestry, My Heritage, Deceased On line and Wiki Tree, and can't find EH White who died on 20 Dec 1831, born 1800. My searches have been in England where my ancestors originated, around Middlesex, Essex and Surrey. Does anyone know of other resources, or can anyone point me in another direction or suggest something I may not have thought of?  I follow 'The Art of Mourning' and believe they were quite common rings produced around the time these two were made, and that mourning was a business with strict protocols. It was suggested in the FB group that I check the Hallmarks on the ring as the place it was made may give me a lead. I will try that. I'd love to be able to identify who the 2ND ring was made in memory of and possibility wont rest until I do. The ring inscribed Wm Smith is the one I have identified as being worn in memory of my 3x Great Grandfather. The other ring is the mystery. Thanks so much in anticipation. Maureen.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the mourned inscribed in a Mourning Ring.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 July 20 07:02 BST (UK) »
Why do you say they are silver they look gold to me, but they could be gilded silver?
The 1831 ring seems to be stamped S 3.7 which could mean Silver 3.7 grams weight but only part of the stamp is showing and I could be completely wide of the mark.
I would also compare ring sizes, the upper ring seems bigger than the lower ring which seems to indicate it is a mans ring rather than a ladies ring but that could simply be due to how close the camera was to the ring.
The significance of size could point to who it was intended to be worn by which may indicate the sex of the deceased, but again these are just possibilities to think about.
Cheers
Guy

PS what do the letters on the outside of the rings read.
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 July 20 07:20 BST (UK) »
Changed my mind. Invalid comment.

Offline Maureen59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 July 20 07:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Guy, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure of the material that the rings are made from, but I would assume gold and black enamel? I don't know a lot about gold hallmarks but I think a makers mark and assay office mark might give me a lead to where they were made. That's one area I will definitely chase up. The letters on the outside say 'In memory of', which was common in the period in which they were made.
Thanks so much for your interest.
Maureen

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 July 20 07:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Maureen  :D

You may like to try this website to see if you can identify the hallmarks in the rings that you have.

https://www.langantiques.com/university/makers-marks-2/

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 July 20 07:40 BST (UK) »
https://theassayoffice.com/anatomy-of-a-hallmark

If you can get a good photo of the marks I’m sure we could offer you a second opinion.  :)

Engraving “EH” White inside a ring makes me think that EH might have been male, for no particular reason.  :)

They are lovely rings - you are so lucky to have them.

PS.Welcome to rootschat.

Offline Maureen59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 July 20 07:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the welcome, and the reply's. I will try to get some good photos of the hallmarks. A second opinion would be most appreciated.