Author Topic: Ship "GAUNTLET" departed London 1875 arrived Brisbane 7 February 1876.  (Read 6990 times)

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hi everyone
I have the PASSENGER LIST for the Ship "GAUNTLET" departed London 18 September 1875 arrived Brisbane 1876.
The list has details on Captain, Surgeon, Matron and all of the passengers.

Does anyone know if it is possible to locate a list of the CREW as they are not shown....?

Thanks in advance.
Barbara in Australia
Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Ship "GAUNTLET" departed London 1875 arrived Brisbane 7 February 1876.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 July 20 15:05 BST (UK) »
Doe's the passenger list state the Official Number of the GAUNTLET. Was the captains name "Lucas"
Problem we have is that there was only one steamship listed with this name in the Mercantile Navy List 1875 and 1876. GAUNTLET official number 63506  as you can see in the link she was only 87 gross registered tons. I just cannot envisage a vessel of this size transporting 300 emigrants from London to Brisbane.
http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/viewimages?year=1880&name=GAUNTLET&steamsail=Steam&year=1875+&submit=enter

However I found a Barque (sailing ship) of 667 GRT Official Number 307 who's Captain was Lucas.
http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/viewimages?year=1870&name=GAUNTLET&steamsail=Sail&year=1875+&submit=enter
and https://archive.org/stream/lloydsregisters23unkngoog#page/n339/mode/2up

I think this is the ship you want

Her Crew List for 1876 ( this should show her crew from 18/09/1875 until she returned to a UK port in 1876.

A copy of her crew list should be obtainable from here.
https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=307

According to British newspaper reports say GAUNTLET arrived in Brisbane 20/Dec/1875.
She sailed from Brisbane and arrived back in London 24/July/1876

I  think this is her captain. LUCAS, Bart. Cummings, born Teignmouth 1839  Certificate 20960 changed 1865 to 20360 He was active as a Master from 1865 -1890

Please let us know how you get on.

Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 July 20 02:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Seaweed and many thanks for your advice.
Yes, that is definitely the correct ship (NO. 307)
My 2 x great grandmother and the 8 children travelled on her from London to Brisbane and are all shown on the Passenger List.
But the husband is not shown.
Name of husband - James GALLAGHER.
He would have been approx. 38 years of age.
His name is listed on the Land Orders which made me wonder if he could have possibly managed to get on the ship as crew.
(as far a we know he was not a sailor)
The family consisted of Eleanor GALLAGHER and the 8 children - all listed correctly with their mother.

I am possibly missing something in trying to follow your instructions (see attachments)

Tried entering Official Number 307 – no result
Tried entering Official Number E1 – no result
Tried entering Official Number E2 – no result

If I've followed instructions, does that mean there is no Crew List...?

Or - have I missed some steps....?

Look forward to further advice if possible.
Barbara

Researching:

Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 July 20 02:56 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that he arrived earlier to set up, before sending for family? It often happened.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 July 20 03:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Jamjar and thanks for your suggestion.
That was what we thought as an elderly aunt (now deceased) said he came to Australia first and then sent for her and the children.
Many years of research has not located a provable entry for him between the acceptable time frame of 1872 and 1875.
Someone recently suggested this different angle so I am giving it a different look.
One of the "hints" that he may have been on the same ship but not as a passenger, is that he is listed on the LAND ORDER documents when they are being processed a year later in number order that match the rest of the family.
They each have a Land Order number.
He has a Land Order number.
He also has his name listed against all of their Land Order numbers.
His wife Eleanor's Obituary from the newspaper states - "the deceased was a native of Ardwich, (sic) Manchester, and came with her husband to Queensland in the year 1875."

Hi Death Certificate states time in Australian states - 10 years - which would mean he possibly arrived 1874.

However, the Hospital Surgeon was the informant, so 10 years was not necessarily exact....

I'll keep on searching ;-)
Researching:

Researching:

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 July 20 03:52 BST (UK) »
Accident involving James Gallagher that sent him to hospital. He had been residing in the colony for some time and his wife and 8 children had recently arrived on the Gauntlet

1876 'Current News.', The Queenslander (Brisbane, Qld. : 1866 - 1939), 19 February, p. 27. , viewed 27 Jul 2020, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article18340872

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 July 20 03:58 BST (UK) »
If he paid for his own passage he won't be indexed unless he appears on the same page as an assisted passenger.  You would need to search the original shipping records at Queensland Archives.

Debra  :)

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 July 20 04:35 BST (UK) »
Hello mathewj64
Thank you, thank, thank you  :)
That is an amazing find, now I know he didn't travel on the same ship as his wife and children.
An elderly aunt said years ago that he came first to Australia and then sent for her.
But his widow's obituary many years later stated she had come to Australia with her husband in 1875, so which was correct...?
Now, thanks so much to your detective work, we have the answer  :D :D :D

I have now downloaded that great information from the newspaper on TROVE.

We still don't know when-where-how he arrived, but it had to be between 1872 and 1876.

Looking for another mystery...?   ;)

Thanks again.

Barbara
Researching:

Researching:

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 July 20 04:42 BST (UK) »
Hello again Seaweed - letting you know in case you haven't read the reply stating that my 2 x Great Grandfather James Gallagher is reported in a Qld. newspaper as having been residing in Qld. prior to his wife and children arriving in 1875.  So now there is no need for me to attempt to check for him possibly being crew on the same ship (GAUNTLET) as his wife and children.

Many thanks for your earlier advice.

Regards
Barbara

Hello Seaweed and many thanks for your advice.
Yes, that is definitely the correct ship (NO. 307)
My 2 x great grandmother and the 8 children travelled on her from London to Brisbane and are all shown on the Passenger List.
But the husband is not shown.
Name of husband - James GALLAGHER.
He would have been approx. 38 years of age.
His name is listed on the Land Orders which made me wonder if he could have possibly managed to get on the ship as crew.
(as far a we know he was not a sailor)
The family consisted of Eleanor GALLAGHER and the 8 children - all listed correctly with their mother.

I am possibly missing something in trying to follow your instructions (see attachments)

Tried entering Official Number 307 – no result
Tried entering Official Number E1 – no result
Tried entering Official Number E2 – no result

If I've followed instructions, does that mean there is no Crew List...?

Or - have I missed some steps....?

Look forward to further advice if possible.
Barbara
Researching:

Researching: