Author Topic: Ship "GAUNTLET" departed London 1875 arrived Brisbane 7 February 1876.  (Read 6983 times)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Ship "GAUNTLET" departed London 1875 arrived Brisbane 7 February 1876.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 July 20 15:05 BST (UK) »
No worries, glad you were able to find your man.
To satisfy my own curiosity. Was the Captain of GAUNTLET surnamed Lucas?
regards SW
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ship "GAUNTLET" departed London 1875 arrived Brisbane 7 February 1876.
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 00:32 BST (UK) »
Well I haven't actually found him as I already had him from when his family arrived.
But the time frame has been narrowed down so I will keep looking for his arrival  ;)

To answer your question, yes, the Master of the GAUNTLET was Captain Lucas.
The journey had an interesting ending as upon arrival 20 December 1875 and being checked by the health officer it was confirmed that Typhoid was on the ship.
(excerpt from article - see link below for full story) "Such was the case with the iron clipper ship Gauntlet of 677 tons which left England from Gravesend on 18 September 1875 with 272 passengers. During the voyage of three months enteric (typhoid) fever had broken out on board. The first case of fever had broken out about forty days out of London, a boy being the first noticeable case. There were twelve deaths up to 21 December. The Gauntlet arrived at Cape Moreton on 20 December, and remained there a day (Ed.to take the pilot aboard). It arrived at the Bar at the mouth of the Brisbane River on 21 December and remained there two days while the ship’s medical officer reported to the Port’s Health Officer. Because of the contagious nature of enteric fever aboard, the ship, was placed under quarantine and on 23 December it was towed to Peel Island by the Government tug Kate".

The passengers were quarantined on the island for 40 days and finally arrived Brisbane on 7 February 1876.

https://peterlud.wordpress.com/2019/08/24/stories-from-peel-island-8-quarantine-throwing-down-the-gauntlet-1/

Thanks again for your input.
Barbara
Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG