Author Topic: Help with Latin  (Read 623 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help with Latin
« on: Sunday 26 July 20 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi I hope this is the right place to post this request.

Is anyone here able to help me with deciphering some parts of a will which is in Latin?

I am not looking for a complete translation/transcription but rather a list of the people named and their relationships to the testator and other people named in  the will. For example if a will mention "William Short my brother in law" that is all I need, of course if he is described as being "of" a certain place it would be good to know that too.

I have managed to pick out some of the names in the will I am looking at so far so these only need confirming.

If anyone thinks they can help let me know and I'll pm you the will. It is a PCC will so the images are probably to big to post here but I'll see if I can crop them as well.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Latin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 July 20 14:59 BST (UK) »
Matt just crop and post segments, that is what other folk do.

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 July 20 15:08 BST (UK) »
Matt just crop and post segments, that is what other folk do.

Sarah

Hi Sarah

Yes that's what I plan to do later. I just wondered if some people might prefer to see the whole thing since it is in Latin. I wondered if it would be easier to work out the relationships that way.

Matt

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 July 20 16:23 BST (UK) »
Try posting a chunk at a time and see what happens? If people need to see a larger section they can ask, or since it’s a PCC will they can access it online, either via Ancestry or (currently) as a free download from the National Archives.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 July 20 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I'm posting the first extract from this will [of Edward Cowper] here for people to look at. If anyone feels like doing a full translation of each bit it will help but all I really need for now is to know who the people named are, and how they are related to the testator and/or other people.

I'll post more in a separate post following this.

If anyone wants to see a bigger extract let me know.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 July 20 21:17 BST (UK) »
Here is the next part which I have had to split into two pieces.

I hope it is easy to read.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 July 20 21:21 BST (UK) »
Last bit for tonight.

All of these extracts should follow on from each other so they should make sense if read in order.

Matt

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 July 20 21:47 BST (UK) »
First off, it’s not a will but a Judicial Sentence, pronouncing on a dispute about proving the will of Edward Cooper of Slinfold, Sussex.

The case was brought by Robert Cooper and Judith Naldrett alias Cooper (Edward’s brother and sister) against Ralph Cooper, another brother, who was executor of Edward’s will. It was settled by the court in favour of Ralph.

There might be a will filed separately. What was the year, please?

If you want more detail, I’ll try to look at it tomorrow.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 July 20 00:15 BST (UK) »
First off, it’s not a will but a Judicial Sentence, pronouncing on a dispute about proving the will of Edward Cooper of Slinfold, Sussex.

The case was brought by Robert Cooper and Judith Naldrett alias Cooper (Edward’s brother and sister) against Ralph Cooper, another brother, who was executor of Edward’s will. It was settled by the court in favour of Ralph.

There might be a will filed separately. What was the year, please?

If you want more detail, I’ll try to look at it tomorrow.

Hi

Thanks for the quick response. This might explain why I couldn't make sense of it and why it didn't look like the other wills I have.

I think the year is 1623. The reference on this document is PROB 11/141/294 with the last 3 numbers being the folio number [ie 294]. However on the National Archives Discovery website the only record I can find is listed as a will for Edward COOPER of Slinfold with the reference PROB 11/141/574. Maybe someone made a mistake when listing it or perhaps I've missed the will.

I'll take another look online and check to see if I've not missed the will.

Matt