Author Topic: Looking for a James Glover possibly in Scotland/UK?  (Read 500 times)

Offline Sunnycj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for a James Glover possibly in Scotland/UK?
« on: Sunday 26 July 20 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

Sorry I'm not sure where to post this but Ive been looking for a James Glover on and off for a year and a bit now and keep coming up short, the only information I have of this man is that him and my family are from Scotland, Edinburgh his occupation was a diamond cutter and he died some time around 1900 on a birth certificate he is named the father of an illegitimate child named Alexander Clark Glover and the mother is Mary Clark or mclennon or mclean. Any other questions and I'll answer them as well as I can.

Thank you for reading
Connor

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a James Glover possibly in Scotland/UK?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 July 20 16:32 BST (UK) »
I'm just off to bed but is this his Mother?
1861 Census
Jessie McLerman 28
Mary Clark    5 born Rathven, Banffshire
Jane Wilson 1
Ann McLerman   81
Ann Grant   14

And Alex in 1881;
Jessie McLean   59
Alexander Clark   3 Grandson born Buckie, Banffshire
Joseph Kipley   21
Leslie Gregor   26

Do you know where Mary was 1871/1881 Census.

May help narrow down possible place Mary and James got together.

Off to bed so hopefully others can help.

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Sunnycj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 July 20 17:48 BST (UK) »
It could well be I'd need to look into it a bit more, I know nothing about him really, where did you find the 1861 census? In 1878 she was at colonay place, or colonsay place in Buckie rathven, also where Alex was born

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 July 20 19:51 BST (UK) »
Think that Mary Clark was illegitimate as there is the following baptism at Presholm RC Church, Banffshire in 1855:

Born Oct 23 Bap. Dec 26th Mary said to be daughter of Wm Clark and Jessie McLennan born in Buckie.

Although baptised as Clark her birth registration would appear to be as Mary McLenan.

The 1871 census also has Mary recorded as McLenan with mother Jessie and a younger sister Jane living at Yardie , 51, in Buckie. Sister Jane would also appear to be illegitimate.(born 16 Nov 1859). Presumably she is showing as Jane Wilson in the 1861 census.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 July 20 19:58 BST (UK) »
Connor, just adding this link to your previous post so searches are not duplicated www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=825110.0

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 July 20 00:31 BST (UK) »
Monica - can posts not be merged?

Anyways, a couple of things.  Diamond Cutter is a stone cutter not a gem cutter.  Any in the gem trade were trained on the Continent, Middle East, Africa or India. Diamond cutting (stone) started about 1865.

I did a search on SP for a James b 1855 and 1865 +/- 10 years who died from 1877-1900 none are your man unless he was the 33 year old shopkeeper in Govan who died at the Lunatic Asylum in 1891.

There is only one Scot in the 1891 England Census and he is commercial traveler but it doesn't say what he sold nor do I have any idea when this chap died.  There are 117 other potentials in England and I'm sure some in Ireland.  Then don't forget those who emigrated.

I wish you good luck and if you want any of the deaths send me a PM. 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Sunnycj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 July 20 06:59 BST (UK) »
Edit: This is Alexander Clark glover's marriage certificate in 1900 with James Glover named a diamond cutter and deceased maybe if some use?

https://i.imgur.com/luWELnt.jpg

Thank you for trying, it's helpful that his occupation was actually a stone cutter rather than a diamond cutter, I did try a quick search for him in Africa since the diamond mines boomed around his time, I only tried one part of South Africa and didn't find anything but I can go back and try again, is there s chance it night be the one in the asylum?

My grandmother tells me that the glover's where very quiet about their past and that my grandad always thought he had some Norwegian in him, also she was told that the Glover I'm looking for was a sailor and traveled to Norway or somewhere similar but I do t know how much is true.

Its very difficult, I have some certificates of Alexander Clark Glover that has his name on it I can have a look and narrow it down hopefully.

Offline Sunnycj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 July 20 19:36 BST (UK) »
I put this information that you gave into my ancestry tree and it brought back a Mary Clark in a 1901 census. Same birth year and birthplace place in rathven banff, it says her residence was Drainie, moray, scotland

Think that Mary Clark was illegitimate as there is the following baptism at Presholm RC Church, Banffshire in 1855:

Born Oct 23 Bap. Dec 26th Mary said to be daughter of Wm Clark and Jessie McLennan born in Buckie.

Although baptised as Clark her birth registration would appear to be as Mary McLenan.

The 1871 census also has Mary recorded as McLenan with mother Jessie and a younger sister Jane living at Yardie , 51, in Buckie. Sister Jane would also appear to be illegitimate.(born 16 Nov 1859). Presumably she is showing as Jane Wilson in the 1861 census.

William

William

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 July 20 20:39 BST (UK) »
I think you will find that she is a different Mary Clark as she can be found with her parents in Drainie in the 1871 census and can also be seen at the same address in Drainie in the 1891 census with her father (parents Alexander and Margaret).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)