Author Topic: Help me place Rebecca (born c1813 Gloucestershire) in my tree  (Read 1425 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help me place Rebecca (born c1813 Gloucestershire) in my tree
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 02 August 20 11:44 BST (UK) »
I said I would put this one down, but to my surprise have just found a 21 Apr 1835 marriage at St George Hanover Square for a Harriet Elbro to William Calenton (or Caleington in the banns book) - both of the parish - witnessed by Thomas Daly and Sophia Bentley.

This looks likely to be a first marriage for my 3x great-grandmother Harriet Elbro b1811, though she was supposed to be a spinster when she married William Haynes in Lambeth in 1839 (Sophia Bentley again a witness). I bear in mind, though, that she did have a maternal aunt named Harriett Elbro who is untraced after her 1791 baptism in Stow on the Wold.

There may have been a son to the Calenton/Elbro marriage - a Henry Calenton was buried in Westminster on 24 March 1836 aged 3 months. Abode was 11 Kensington Place, not known to be connected to the family, and I haven’t found a baptism. If he was a son of the marriage then that would point in the direction of the bride being the younger Harriet rather than her aunt.

If anyone comes across anything on William Calenton I’d be most grateful.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 02 August 20 14:10 BST (UK) »
Fresh pair of eyes...I think my brain just about kept up!!

A possible, but not right on the burial age...

Henry Callindon
Baptism
St Mary Lambeth
May 21st 1835
son of William and Harriet Callindon
Abode: Bridge Street
Profession: Servant

To the left of the entries are numbers that appear to correspond to birth dates - there is a 21 next to Henry's entry, so assume he was baptised on the day he was born?

There is a second entry, on the same date, same details (without the '21') at St John the Evangelist, Lambeth.
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 02 August 20 14:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you Emsworthy! Dates interesting as he was supposed to be 3mo old on death/burial in March 1836.  I will have a look when I am home. Perhaps they had more than one baby Henry?
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 02 August 20 14:26 BST (UK) »
If this family turns out to be a possibility, there was a baptism for a William Callenden on 26th November 1795 at St Mary Lambeth, to mother named Mary.
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 02 August 20 14:52 BST (UK) »
Off on a different tangent...

A possible?  Fingers crossed!

Harriet Sophia Mason
marriage
William David Dowden
Q Dec 1874
Lambeth
Vol 1d
Pg 562

11 October 1874 - St Anne's Lambeth.  States father as John Mason, labourer.  Witnesses Richard Marchant and Eliza Dowden (mark).  Both bride and groom signed with a mark.

17 Brookland Road, Kennington, Lambeth

William Dowden, Head, 37, Painter's Labourer, Lambeth Surrey
Harriet Dowden, Wife, 37, Laundress, Westminster Middlesex
Alfred Dowden, Son, 5, Scholar, Lambeth Surrey
Clara Dowden, Daughter, 3, Lambeth Surrey

RG11/606 F 111 Pg 51

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 02 August 20 17:18 BST (UK) »
That Dowden marriage looks very promising! Not sure why I hadn’t seen it before - perhaps because I have only recently found her baptism yielding the middle name. That’s fantastic - thank you :)