Author Topic: St. Cuthberts Edinburgh marriage register on Scotlands People - no original?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have found a marriage that took place at St. Cuthbert's, Edinburgh in 1823, but for all the couples on the page, there are no witnesses listed, and it just says "have been three times proclaimed in order to marriage in the Parish Church of St. Cuthberts and no objections have been offered" and at the top it states "Register of Proclamations". Is there a separate register for St. Cuthberts, or is this all there is?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St. Cuthberts Edinburgh marriage register on Scotlands People - no original?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 July 20 22:23 BST (UK) »
That will be it, I'm afraid. What you find in marriage registers varies. Witnesses to marriages are not often recorded.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St. Cuthberts Edinburgh marriage register on Scotlands People - no original?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 July 20 22:46 BST (UK) »
That will be it, I'm afraid. What you find in marriage registers varies. Witnesses to marriages are not often recorded.
Oh, that's a shame, thanks G2. We are a bit spoilt in England from the late 18th century on.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 July 20 22:49 BST (UK) »
Just to expand a little on GR2's reply.

Pre 1855 when it became a legal requirement to register a birth, death or marriage in Scotland the information is somewhat sketchy. It may not even be the actual date the marriage took place in some instances. Also no parents are listed although if you are lucky you may get the bride's father's name.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 July 20 22:53 BST (UK) »
I should have added that after 1855 you get the full details including mother's maiden name and whether the parents are living or deceased on a marriage certificate. The same applies to a death.

On a birth certificate you usually get the date of the parents marriage too.

Happy hunting,

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 July 20 06:58 BST (UK) »
In the 1820s  in Scotland they probably didn’t marry in church. That’s a comparatively recent custom. They probably married at the bride’s home or in the Manse (the Minister’s House).

Some information here:

https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/marriage/

“In Scotland, regular marriages did not have to take place within a church building; indeed, they were more likely to take place in private homes.”
Elwyn

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 July 20 12:54 BST (UK) »
I should have added that after 1855 you get the full details including mother's maiden name and whether the parents are living or deceased on a marriage certificate. The same applies to a death.

On a birth certificate you usually get the date of the parents marriage too.

Happy hunting,

Dorrie
Thanks Dorrie, yes I have seen some post 1855 marriage records that then put the English ones to shame! I do wonder if most people knew their mother's maiden names in those days, although I know there was the practice in Scotland for woman to be buried and make wills with their maiden names, but I don't know when that stopped?

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 July 20 12:55 BST (UK) »
In the 1820s  in Scotland they probably didn’t marry in church. That’s a comparatively recent custom. They probably married at the bride’s home or in the Manse (the Minister’s House).

Some information here:

https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/marriage/

“In Scotland, regular marriages did not have to take place within a church building; indeed, they were more likely to take place in private homes.”
Thanks Elwyn, I was aware that people could do that, but I didn't realise it was more common not to marry in church, than in one.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 July 20 13:56 BST (UK) »
It is still legal in Scotland for a woman to keep using her maiden name. If you are looking at the index on scotlandspeople for the death of a married woman it is listed under her married name and her maiden name but with the same reference number.

An example of this is my mum who died in 2010. If you enter Doris Small (her married name) it comes up as reference 731/101 but if you enter Doris Patrick (her maiden name) it comes up with the same reference.

The information given on a marriage/death certificate is only as good as the knowledge of the informant especially way back in the late 1800's.

I am not sure if or when the practice of marrying in the Manse or a private home stopped in Scotland. I have a marriage as late as 1941 taking place in the manse. I believe it is now up to the individual minister of registrar to decide if the intended place of marriage is suitable. Lots of weddings now take place in hotels.

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife