Author Topic: Mediaeval Latin  (Read 256 times)

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Mediaeval Latin
« on: Monday 27 July 20 10:14 BST (UK) »
William le Mercer is paying to be supported by Whalley Abbey. I am doing fairly well with the help of Latham but in the following sentence, what does mibar mean?
"Item duo corpora bovina precii octo solid' et quatuor porcos ejusdem precii, tres petras buttiri et tres petras casei ac dimid' mibar allectis conventualis percipiendos ...."
Two carcasses of beef at 8 shillings and four pigs at the same price, three stone of butter and three stone of cheese and half a ??
It is from a printed book.
Thanks for any help, cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mediaeval Latin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 July 20 13:08 BST (UK) »
I've had a look at this (and at the publication), but I've no idea. I’ve never seen mibar before, and it’s not in any reference source that I have access to, online or on the bookshelf. It could be a mistranscription in the printed text (e.g. for imb..., inib..., ?), but I haven’t come up with a likely word yet.

However, I think the sense might be ‘three and a half stones of cheese’, with the mystery word belonging to what follows.

I can ask around in the next few days and will get back to you with any suggestions.

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 July 20 14:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Bookbox. You are very kind, cb

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 July 20 15:03 BST (UK) »
The text must be wrong.   Apart from "mibar", I find the word "allectis" a puzzle to know what case it is in.  So perhaps it should read "allecii" (= herring). Herring seems to have been supplied by the barrel, so perhaps the "bar" part of "mibar" is short for "barelli" (= barrel).   So the item may refer to some quantity of barrels of herring.  Perhaps the "m" of "mibar" is part of "dimidium".  Could you order half a barrel?  Obviously, this is only a guess, so sorry if it's wrong.

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 July 20 15:07 BST (UK) »
My husband (ex Classics teacher but doesn't usually read mediaeval) has suggested imbarellectis to me and I have translated that and sent the piece to the person on Facebook who asked for a translation. Thank you again, Bookbox. It helped that you removed dimidium to its right place, cb

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 July 20 15:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Watson (or should that be Holmes?) That's very clever. I did wonder why none of the food they are supplying this man with is fish. I have gone with stored in barrels for now but will mention herring to the person who asked for the translation, cb

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 July 20 15:59 BST (UK) »
Well done, cb's husband!