Author Topic: Fake news  (Read 607 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fake news
« on: Monday 27 July 20 10:48 BST (UK) »
A new series of documentary programme "My Name Is" begins 11 a.m. today, Radio 4. Each episode focuses on a person with an experience of an issue in the news. Today it's a doctor investigating fake news about Covid-19  and impact on NHS.
Another new series is "How They Made Us Doubt Everything", Mon.-Fri. for 2 weeks, examines tactics used by companies to "change the narrative" on big stories. Oil and tobacco this week.
Cowban

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Fake news
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 July 20 11:43 BST (UK) »
Missed it!!
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 July 20 12:00 BST (UK) »
You may be able to catch it on BBC Sounds.
The presenter is a doctor.

Cowban

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 July 20 21:38 BST (UK) »
  I listened to the first 3 episodes of the "doubt" one on BBC Sounds, as I tend to miss those 15 minute programmes, and some of them are interesting.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 14:23 BST (UK) »
  I listened to the first 3 episodes of the "doubt" one on BBC Sounds, as I tend to miss those 15 minute programmes, and some of them are interesting.

Just listened to 2nd episode "Doubt is Our Product" about how the tobacco industry came up with a plan to combat claims that smoking causes cancer. Couldn't deny facts, instead used science to undermine science, sowing seeds of doubt in people's minds. The presenter called it the playbook, followed later by other industries such as big oil against climate change campaigners.
Cowban