Author Topic: Black Spots  (Read 5414 times)

Offline Laverdiere

• RootsChat Senior
  • "Birdie" Wedderburn
    • View Profile
Re: Black Spots
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 August 05 04:42 BST (UK) »
Jane--thanks for the tips .  I am using GimpShop which is a free which is much more confusing then photoshop appears to be.  I'm very frustrated with that program so downloaded a trial version of Photoshop and look forward to following the tutorials. 

Thanks for the tips!

Denn--The ladies are from two seperate branches of the family tree so won't look much alike.  Rosa St-Denis was born in Quebec in 1889 and is 21 in that picture; Gran Elsie was born in 1909 in South Africa.

Thanks again, Laverdiere

Offline Gary56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Henley Beach Jetty 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 August 05 05:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Denn ...

I'll try to remember what I learned in the R.A.F. about unsharp masking.
    We basically do a contact exposure using a special film called pan masking film, this was a very low contrast film without anti halation backing.this would prodoce a copy negative that was slightly blurred due to the light scattering and producing the normally unwanted HALO
    Both the original and the copy neg were then sandwiched together before making the print, which would then have a minute halo around all the contrasting edges - giving the illusion of being sharp: The second neg wasof course called the unsharp mask because it was so.
     By the way there are ways of using your photoshop unsharp mask without increasing cotrast to grain or other unwanted rubbish

Thanks for explanation on unsharp name ... I knew I had read about it somewhere .. and that most of the names in Photoshop derive from "traditionalist darkroom" techniques ...

One of the reasons the "quick mask" is red in Photoshop is because this is how they used to mask areas of b/w photos during exposure in traditional dark-rooms ... but of course you knew that from your RAF days ... ;)

From my RAAF days (yes the extra "A" is correct!!) ... I did not go near the cameras ... I was a Weapons and Avionics Technician looking after Lockheed Orion P3B and P3C maritime/recco aircraft .... mainly looking after radar, communications and sonar  ... small world ...

Regards,

Gary Wilkinson
www.restoring-photos-made-easy.com
Wilkinson, Carr, Lovell - West Riding of Yorkshire

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 August 05 09:32 BST (UK) »
A little area done using the healing brush in PSP - the background was made darker to show it up
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 August 05 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Laverdiere

Cleaned up black spots and tried to sharpen image.

;D  :D  ;D
I have to many black spots in my collection so you can have yours back
 :)  :)  ;)  :D  ;D

Regards
Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline Laverdiere

• RootsChat Senior
  • "Birdie" Wedderburn
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 August 05 17:40 BST (UK) »
Cute, Ken!  Thanks for cleaning and sharpening.  Laverdiere

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 August 05 20:06 BST (UK) »
Next go
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline Laverdiere

• RootsChat Senior
  • "Birdie" Wedderburn
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 August 05 21:09 BST (UK) »
Very vibrant Meldrew! It looks like you had fun.

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 August 05 03:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there
as I promised here is the tute for "smartsharpen", at first sight it looks complex and longwinded but believe me it's easier than it looks and is worth the effort

Smart sharpen is a system whereby we can increase the amount of unsharp mask we use.
   Under normal use, if we apply too much unsharp mask it can have some quiet unpleasant effects. Basically what is happening is that the effect is spreading out from the area such as edges –where we want the effect, into the other areas thereby distressing a large part of the picture. A halo of lighter pixels one or two pixels wide is one thing, it manages to trick the eye into seeing a sharper edge, but when we lighten the little buggers all over the place, that’s not so good.
   The trick is simple; all we have to do is mask the areas we don’t want affected. How to do it is a little more difficult, but that is where Photoshop has a few tricks.
   As said it is rather a long winded but effective procedure but once learned doesn’t take long, so rather than explain how it works I think it would be easier to run through the method, then when you have done it a couple of times the penny will click as to what you are doing – that is when you can start to modify your masks to suit each individual job. The artist takes over from the technician.

STEP1   go to image-mode and change to lab colour
STEP2   open channels panel and make a new channel (arrow at top right of panel or icon on bottom
STEP3   Make lightness channel active, go to picture and hit control+A, then control+C (this makes a copy of the channel)
STEP4   now make your new (alpha) channel active and hit control+V (paste) and wallah! Your picture should have reappeared.
STEP5   got to filters-stylise-find edges
STEP6   Go to filters-blur-gaussian blur. Now we find that the more we blur the lines the wider but more indistinct they become – for a start try maybe a level of 3.5 (the width of these lines is the area that we will sharpen)
STEP7   we will now make the lines distinct again without narrowing them so go to image-adjustment-levels and sample the dark lines with the black eye dropper and the light areas with the white eye dropper. You may want to play with the droppers until you get a definite black line
STEP 8   Go to select-load selection, when the box opens make sure you put a tick in the box marked invert. You have now selected the lines and should see the line of ants stomping around, if you switch to quick mask you can when you are more confident – modify your selection even further.
STEP9   almost there: switch back to the colour channel and then to layers, you should now have your colour photo with a selection and are ready to sharpen it.
STEP10   go to view and untick extras, the ants will have disappeared, all we have done is to hide them so that they don’t obstruct our vision – the selection is still there
STEP 11   now we can apply our unsharp mask at levels that were not practical before and the effect is confined to our selected areas
STEP12   clean up any areas inadvertently affected
STEP 13   don’t forget to change back to the original mode whether it was rgb grayscale or what, otherwise you may have problems saving

Gary as this posted on his website complete with illustrations if that will help

http://www.restoring-photos-made-easy.com/Smart-Sharpening-Using-Unsharp-Mask.html

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 August 05 04:40 BST (UK) »
Dear Laverdiere - Just wanted to say - I know you told Denn that these two ladies were from different branches of the family tree but there is definitely a great similarity to each other. What relationship were they please?