Author Topic: birth certificate 1905 clonmel  (Read 1618 times)

Offline whiffey64

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
birth certificate 1905 clonmel
« on: Monday 27 July 20 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hello, I require my grandfathers birth certificate I have his death certificate as he was living in Manchester England when he died. He was born in Tipperary Clonmel. Ireland, I have searched Ancestory and have got date of registration from their site but unfortunately there is no text available to view. Could somebody please tell me who do I contact to get a copy of this birth certificate.  We have a file number , page and volume number and film number for the for above. thanking in advance. x Katrina

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: birth certificate 1905 clonmel
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 July 20 14:26 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

You can look up his birth record using this free site - it has births up to 1919
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/news/154-update-to-the-civil-records-3

If you want an official certificate, follow this link (section 2):
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/i-want-to-get-a-copy-of-a-certificate-what-do-i-do

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline whiffey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 July 20 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, Firstly thank you for your quick reply and help. I did as you said and went to site but it comes up with name and birth date as 30th correct month and year, but on his death certificate which I have it states birth date 13th, is this normal as birth would of been recorded Ireland and death in UK. Do you think I'm looking at wrong person, I checked census records for Tipperary and found 
him aged 5, but I thought he would of been aged 6. its definitely him from siblings names plus he took his fathers name as his middle, it states father and mother name, plus two other siblings who I didn't connect to until I realised I know them under their nicknames, also one of his sisters shared same wedding with my Granddad and Grandmother I only knew her as Aunty Nan but name is Annie,  what would you suggest I do, unfortunately census not out for this year. Do you think as I had wrong birth date this is why gov UK were unable to trace him. I dont want to be paying out for loads of wrong  certificates. xx Katrina

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 July 20 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hello, welcome to Rootschat.

A couple of things.

Birth registrations can be incorrect sometimes - baptisms are more usually correct.
Birthdates given on death registrations depend on the knowledge  of the informant.
13th/30th sound similar so may have been a mistake.

Equally,  censuses can be out - was his birthday around census time? Have you found siblings records, are they correct?

My father celebrated his birthday in January, his baptism was a few days after that date but when he needed his birth certificate it was dated February.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 July 20 16:13 BST (UK) »
Would you be willing to give us his name and age at death, so that we can assist you?

As heywood says, Irish people were notorious for not knowing their date of birth. A great uncle who immigrated to Canada and joined the C.E.F. in 1914, was born in Donegal on 2nd November 1891 but gave his birth date on the attestation form as 20th May 1893.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 July 20 16:27 BST (UK) »
First lesson of tracing family, don't expect people to know their own age, lesson two don't take what is recorded on official records to be 100% correct, lesson three don't expect spelling of surnames to be consistent through out.

Offline whiffey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 July 20 19:52 BST (UK) »
 H, Everyone, thank you for your help, the reason I require my grandfathers birth certificate and his parents name is for legal reasons, My granddad name is Edward Fitzsimons from Tipperary,born 13th or possibly 30th October 1905 (I got the 13th from death certificate) but noticed 30th on one of the sites you recommended so this has thrown me a bit, also although it states Annie as his mother it also shows on two sites different nee names for her, possibly the recorder heard it wrongly or the her husband (my great grandfather)  may of remarried and both women had same christen name, see how I'm plucking at straws!!!  its just I require the correct ones.  Possibly my Granddad wasn't birth registered. I have looked at the quarterly for registration of births,.  I found him on the 1911 census, how can I obtain a birth certificate UK Gov say none to be found.  x thank you x Katrina

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 July 20 20:22 BST (UK) »
I can’t see Edward in the 1911 census.  :-\