Author Topic: Military record help  (Read 521 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Military record help
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 August 20 18:25 BST (UK) »
The Civil Registration Births Index for Ireland also has the birth of a James Edward Rooney
recorded in the December quarter of 1881 in Lurgan, Ireland, so given where he was living at the time of his discharge, possibly the same man.

CraigM63 - thank you for adding his possible birth - here's James Edward Rooney's born 27th October 1881 parents are George Rooney, weaver  and Mary formerly DODDS details from
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1881/02809/2030757.pdf

1880 marriage of parents George Rooney & Mary DODDS
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1880/11024/8031394.pdf

Mmm... I wonder if this is the correct JER as jay2401 say's his son was born in 1940  :-\

Hopefully when  jay2401 comes back online they can confirm the date JER was born, when he married M WILSON and where son ER was born in 1940
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 August 20 18:28 BST (UK) »
There is also a disability pension record for Gunner James Edward Rooney, service number 5176, serving with the Royal Field Artillery, and discharged on 10 March 1919, so the same man as above.

Unfortunately I do not have a Fold3 subscription to view the actual card, all that I can add is that he was apparently born in 1880, resident in Ballymacateer, Lurgan, and serving in the Northern Ireland military service region at the time of his discharge.

I don't have access either I wonder if that record will give details of his wife's name and any children
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 August 20 18:49 BST (UK) »
Mmm... I wonder if this is the correct JER as jay2401 say's his son was born in 1940  :-\

I was wondering the same thing, given that if this is the right James Edward Rooney, his son was born when he was 60 years old.

I did find also this in the PRONI will calendar, I'm not quite sure how to interpret this but again, if it's the right man, it appears his estate did go to an Edward Rooney, which squares with the information given by the OP.

Rooney James Edward of 16 Park Street Lurgan county Armagh labourer died 1 October 1958 Administration Belfast 29 October to Edward Rooney labourer. Effects £348.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 August 20 20:00 BST (UK) »
I did find also this in the PRONI will calendar, I'm not quite sure how to interpret this but again, if it's the right man, it appears his estate did go to an Edward Rooney, which squares with the information given by the OP.

Rooney James Edward of 16 Park Street Lurgan county Armagh labourer died 1 October 1958 Administration Belfast 29 October to Edward Rooney labourer. Effects £348.

Not quite correct- the PRONI entry says that Edward Rooney, labourer, was granted administration of the estate of James Edward Rooney. It appears that JER did not leave a Will, or at least a valid Will, and Edward Rooney applied and was granted the power to administer JER's estate according to law. This does NOT mean that his estate went to Edward Rooney.

Added- from PRONI deaths- (born c1885)
D/1958/172/1021/67/172   James   Rooney   1st October 1958   73      Male   Lurgan
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 August 20 20:21 BST (UK) »
PU meant permanently unfit.  The lack of a Silver War Badge meant he wasn't discharged with a disability but the existence of a pension record suggests he made a claim for a pension after discharge.

He didn't serve in the RHA according to the medal records, he was RFA, going to France with 5th Division Ammunition Column.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia