Author Topic: Diary > Monday 27th July  (Read 774 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 27th July
« on: Monday 27 July 20 23:31 BST (UK) »
Thought Caroline might beat me to it tonight, here goes:

Woke to a rainy day as forecast so resigned myself to doing things indoors. Seemed like a good opportunity to change the bed, I always find that such a chore. Was about to start when I looked outside and the rain seemed to have stopped and the sky was a little bit brighter. That was enough for me to seize the opportunity to get out. Unsurprisingly there weren't many people about, I could feel a few spots of rain but nothing much. Just stuck to the field and usual part of the woods, when I came back onto the field the rain was quite a lot heavier and my feet were wet so I came home. I really feel the need now to get out in the fresh air before lunch, it lifts my spirits. I hope to continue that in the future, whatever the situation is.

Had some lunch, I'd miscalculated my bread supply so had to bake a part baked baguette, did both of them and put one and a half in the freezer. They have such a short best before date, the Aldi ones last much longer. When I'd been home for about an hour the skies cleared and the sun came out. Noticed that the rain was standing in beads on my garden bench, the yacht varnish was doing its job. No idea where I left the yacht!

I'd been thinking about going to the nurseries for some weed and feed to do the back lawn, also needed some more compost. Armed myself with hand sanitiser, plastic gloves and the face mask that my friend B had given to me, she made quite a number of them. The place where you pay at the nurseries is in a huge barn type building with just a couple of shelve at one end but nevertheless it's a shop so presumably masks required. Had a look around at the plants, nothing I wanted to buy so put my mask on and went inside to get the weed and feed and pay for that and the compost (you pay then go and get it in the car park). The few people I saw going in to pay were all complying. I only had the mask on for about five minutes but I was really glad to take it off, I don't know how medical people cope with wearing them for long periods, I suppose it's something you get used to. I've always had a degree of claustrophobia, I remember as a teenager sleeping in a bottom bunk bed at a friend's house, I felt agitated and kept waking up. The only time I was in hospital the nurse came in and commented that I'd pulled the mask off, I hadn't even realised. Of course I'll comply with the regulations where necessary but I certainly won't be encouraged to go to any shops.

Cup of tea when I got home then finally got round to changing the bed, then did quite a lot of ironing, didn't finish it all as I was getting too hot. Paired up all the socks I'd washed, I've had so many going through at the heel lately. The rain started again, lasted a while then cleared out again. Made some more changes to my Tesco order for Wednesday. I don't know if prices have gone up lately or whether I'm just more aware of how much I'm spending as I do it in one go, I used to shop in dribs and drabs until I couldn't get away any longer with not doing a big shop. I also used to use Aldi for my main shop.

Did a Cajun coating on some chicken for tea, new potatoes, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and avocado. Back to the berries and yoghurt, I finished the rhubarb. They had some rhubarb plants at the nurseries today, I did think of buying some but decided against it.

Watched a few bits of Devon and Cornwall where they featured the Brixham fishermen. What a lovely place, no wonder my friend is so happy she moved there. Also watched the Long Lost Family special, I can't imagine what it must feel like to be a foundling.

Hope it's been a good day for everyone, perhaps at least drier than mine.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 27th July
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 01:38 BST (UK) »
Nope! You got to it before me... I was busy watching a YouTube on how to make a theatre card... need to do something different and special for OH's big birthday in October ... it's quite nice and now got couple of months to think what I'll put in my theatre!

Sounds like you've had a busy day again Roobarb! All this gardening you put me to shame... glad to hear the varnished bench has been a success.. means you can sit on it when it's been wet without getting a wet bum!

My day

Another busy one!
Slept well last night ... think that's because I've had early starts and reading late finally caught up with me! My phone alarm woke me at 8am with a start...
It was raining... quite heavily....
up, dressed, out ... put on a coat as I didn't fancy getting wet...
First to Lidls... couldn't believe there were only 6 cars in the car park.... great .... put on my face covering and went in. ..empty, well it's a Monday and it's wet and early! They've got boxes of thread about 20 reels with 1000 mtrs on each for under a fiver mixed colours so bought two boxes... they also had some containers in varying sizes small ones in set of three, next size in twos and biggest in singles... was tempted to get one lot in each size but just got smaller ones as they'll be useful to put cut elastic in reels of thread and trimmings .... in and out in 20 minutes... still raining
Collect shopping from Waitrose and home...
OH helped me unload straight into the garage , sorted some stuff into different containers for fridge and freezer, left rest to isolate...
Sat had breakfast and a cuppa... posted yesterday's diary...
OH had finally given up with the last bits of sky as couldn't get them to fit and wasn't going to try and redo it!
Bought some lovely gladioli.... thought of Viktoria as she's got them growing... put them in huge vase daughter gave me... can just about lift it when it's full of water and flowers.. put it on the hearth, they'll look beautiful when they're all out, red flowers added the smoke bush stems I'd trimmed the other day... love to have flowers they were quite cheap £1.49 for about 4 stems..
Stopped raining so went up to pick the courgettes that have almost turned in to small marrows since day before yesterday when they were tiny! Now got 10 courgettes! Few raspberries too that were also huge...
Went to do some sewing finishing off last lot to add to today's delivery... messaged to sort out time.... looks like I'm going to be getting some pretty material today... make a change from plain colours... sadly black is popular but it's hard on the eyes.. counted and bagged them all up total if 111...
into kitchen to bake a courgette cake as promised neighbour I'd do one for tomorrow's coffee morning... lovely recipe using rape seed oil  which comes from farm in the village and sold widely.. brand is called Mellow Yellow...instead of butter... much healthier and as Boris has told us we all need to eat healthier! added some pecan nuts to it too. Tomorrow morning it will have its topping which is cream cheese, little icing sugar, lemon juice and grated zest spread ontop... it's yummy!
Had a game of scrabble... crunch game as I'm only one behind.... guess what...🎉🎉🎉 I won... thrashed him... scored 385 that included 50 points extra for using all my tiles... but I'd still have beaten him without that!
He said he's not playing again... yeh right... not till he wants to get ahead again!
Went to next village to drop off and collection... pretty materials to do including nautical one special favour for admin girl as they've just bought a boat and thought it would be nice to give friends f.civerings!
OH said I was bonkers doing all this sewing... like being back at work... unpaid and I was retired... said he thought I was doing at least 25 hrs a week... I enjoy it... last week he played golf three times that's 12 hrs in time... we'll fiddle sticks to him!
Dinner was venison meat balls in pesto ( sorry Roobarb) with vegs and new pots... I made myself some ratatouille using some of the courgette!
Gone 8 pm by the time finished, cleared up and put the bins out..
OH started new jigsaw so thought I'd just try out new pattern for f. Coverings! Cut out few more to sew up tomorrow... when he's playing golf!!!!
Watched news and newsnight...
that's it for today ...

Weather looks better from tomorrow onwards hope it's the same for everyone else too..

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 09:14 BST (UK) »
A stormy night and a wet, windy start to the week.  Good thing my chum had to postpone our coffee date or we would have had to find shelter somewhere to avoid a soaking. 
At lunch time the winds were still very strong... said to be 45+ mph.
Not a good time to be out, so I made a couple of birthday cards for the dance group, and did some media communication.
Later in the afternoon the rain stopped so I walked along the Esplanade to return the borrowed umbrella, then got ready to go and meet some of the dance group at Teignmouth. Many of them had already had a walk and a swim, but I just went for the fish supper after.  Having parked the car I walked along to find the group, and was very surprised to encounter oldest grandaughter sitting on the wall with her chum, enjoying the view.  We had a brief chat, before I moved on. The chippy had floor to ceiling screens between the tables and hand sanitiser on every table.  Some of the staff looked fairly nervous; awful stress levels for them to endure day in day out.  I ordered a child's portion which was quite enjoyable.... the fish was excellent, the batter and chips less so.  Drove back in daylight and went out of my way to deliver a birthday card.  Half the group had elected to eat outside, and disappeared before I found them to say hello, including the birthday girl.
Watched the Devon & Cornwall programme on TV, and an Endeavour repeat.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 09:30 BST (UK) »
I'm imagining Roobarb sitting on her lovely pristine bench covered in all the beads of rain, and getting an extremely wet BTM.... but that's just silly of course.  ;)
Well done for going to the garden centre. I know it is nerve wracking, especially if you find the face covering claustrophobic.
Wow Caroline, what an excellent score with the Scrabble, and SO nice for you to be in front for a change. Since you enjoy the sewing it is really nice that you can do so much good while keeping busy, mind you, I suspect you are one of those people who can stretch a day to infinity.... the courgette cake sounds yummy.
Have a nice day all.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Mowse Howse
Just been talking to my brother not far from you, he said their is a huge cruiser out in the bay, have you seen it?   it sounds so big I imagine you can't miss it, he managed to get on higher ground to see it

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 14:45 BST (UK) »
Slept well but woke to dull and windy weather - a few spots of rain now and then but nothing of any note.   The weather certainly seems to dictate my mood for the day.  Full of good intentions when I awoke but by lunchtime was so dark and overcast needed the lights on and killed the mood for the day.   Did some jigsaw in the afternoon and then discovered a second piece is missing - a prominent piece of the sky.   How many more pieces are going to be missing I wonder?   So, I'm consigning this particular jigsaw to the bin.

Early evening had a glass of peach schnapps and 'dabbled' on PC for quite a while.  Dinner beef hotpot and toffee cheesecake.   Completely forgot Long Lost Family was on again so will watch on catch-up today.

Let's hope the brighter/sunnier weather forecast for the latter part of the week will brighten the moods of us all.

Take care.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 17:57 BST (UK) »
Just trying to catch up ..

Finished a 12 hour nightshift.  First bus is quite busy and I realise I am quite lucky to be able to get on.  Second bus still has plenty of seats available.  I try hard not to nod off as I get closer to home as I don't want to miss my stop.  I am cheered by the weather being miserable - it is raining and not bright.  I call this good nightshift weather as I usually sleep better if it is not bright outside and I feel cosy curling up to sleep with rain pattering on the window outside.
I get in and have cereal and orange and then a cup of tea.  I have a headache but not a really bad one so I decide that all is needed is fluids and sleep.  I fall asleep straightaway but don't get a good sleep as I keep coming to semi awakeness with the pain in my head.  After a few hours I wake up properly - headache is now stotting and I have to take pain killers after all.  Wide awake now so I have an early tea.  Headache completely clears a short while later.
I check my emails.  My sister in law and I have recently been discussing  one of my cousins who has died.  Apparently, he had had some unpicked up on heart problem.  He had just felt really tired and had gone home to lie down but had never woken up.  He was retirement age but I hadn't thought of him as old, old.  I doubt any of our side will be able to go to his funeral.  He was one of nine siblings and he had his own family.  Perhaps only his own family will see him off.  If he had died this time last year I think his funeral would have been packed and we would have been able to give him a good send off.
Sister in law and I have also been discussing Boris wanting people to try to reduce weight.  We both think this is a good idea but also that it might be hard for us in some respects.  Sister in law says she has been snacking more on things like biscuits during lockdown.  I find if things are heavy going I might be more likely to buy a nice dessert which is not as healthy as fruit or yoghurt.
I leave the house earlier after tea as I have another early start 12 hour nightshift ahead.  By the time I reach Newcastle the weather has turned quite cold along with the blustery wind.   I reflect on how different the station is now compared to just a few months ago.  Now there are quite a few people about waiting for buses and I can hear the echo of conversation.   It seems more like normal aside from people wearing masks.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Mowse Howse
Just been talking to my brother not far from you, he said their is a huge cruiser out in the bay, have you seen it?   it sounds so big I imagine you can't miss it, he managed to get on higher ground to see it. LM

Hi Louisa...
On our way to Dawlish we happened to see a massive cruise ship off Teignmouth on Sunday, which turned out to be the Cunard, Queen Victoria. It was magnificent, but it was gone by Monday evening.
I have just checked the app showing vessels in the area, and there doesn't seem to be anything new around at present, but sometimes the app is slow to update.... I will check when we go out in a while, though we can't see round the back of Thatcher Rock from Goodrington.  :D

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 19:19 BST (UK) »
Not sure if he meant yesterday but yes it was the Cunard Queen Victoria,it must have been laying to, or whatever the term is, staff still on board as it has to be maintained and up to scratch, what a lovely ship

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London