Author Topic: GIBBS, in Warminster, Trowbridge & Bishopstone areas  (Read 563 times)

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GIBBS, in Warminster, Trowbridge & Bishopstone areas
« on: Tuesday 28 July 20 07:57 BST (UK) »
I have been putting together our GIBBS family history that arrived in Australia in 1838 on the "Woodbridge" ship. I am reasonably satisfied with what I have discovered so far starting with John Gibbs (1806-1876) & Susanna Gibbs (Case) (1806-1871) who were on the ship with children James, Edward & Elizabeth. I do know from a copy of a bible that John had, that he is the son of James Gibbs (1777-1828) and Jane Hart (1778-1847) of Bishopstone.
I am looking to see if I can get your input as to whether I have correctly found the following earlier ancestors, as it was very hard to be sure when searching during the late 1600's and the 1700's.
I have searched many Parish Registers and found what I think is correct. What I have is the following;
(1)  James Gibbs (1777-1828) is the son of Daniel Gibbs (1744-1792) who married Ann Barnett
      (1746-1826) in Trowbridge on 25 December 1768.
(2)  Daniel Gibbs (1744-1792) was the son of John Gibbs (1713-1781) who married Mary Tucker
      (about 1720- ?) on 17 November 1739 in Saint Denys, Warminster, Wiltshire, England
(3)  John Gibbs (1713-1781) was the son of John Gibbs (6 October 1682 - ?) who married Sarah
      Nightingale (1688-1726) on 19 April 1710 in Saint Denys, Warminster, Wiltshire, England.

I haven't been able to get any further back at this stage. I intend to put together a Family History EBook for family members, and I want to be sure my details are correct or adjust them if you find  and can show me I took the wrong line.
I am hoping you can be of some assistance
Regards,
Peter

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: GIBBS, in Warminster, Trowbridge & Bishopstone areas
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 13:24 BST (UK) »
I am just starting to go through this -  but when James GIBBS married Jane - the surname is clearly written as HORT not HART - and there does seem to be other HORT marriages in Wiltshire, but will have a closer look.

Jane - signs with an X - but Robert Evans the Curate - has the letter a in Jane - written clearly and the second letter in Port - looks clearly an O.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 13:38 BST (UK) »
Not that it really answers your question at this time but John/Susanna had 2 children that died young;

(sorry if you already have this)

MARY buried 24 Apr 1831 age 12 mths
SOLOMON buried 26 Oct 1834 age 2 yrs 9 mths
They were bapt to them 2 May 1830/1 Jan 1832

Also it appears ELIZABETH MATTON Gibbs was not their child but the Daug of MARY Gibbs, singlewoman
(bapt 25 Dec 1825)

MARY Gibbs married Joseph READ 13 Apr 1829

JOSEPH/MARY Read bapt;
JAMES 19 Jul 1829, buried 18 May 1838 age 8
SARAH 03 Apr 1831   

MARY Read was buried 13 Mar 1833 age 33

Joseph remarried 8 May 1836 to Elizabeth MITCHELL

MARY Gibbs was bapt 24 Nov 1799 to JAMES/JANE so Johns Sister***

All events above Bishopstone, source FreeREG

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 13:50 BST (UK) »
Looking at the witnesses to the wedding of James GIBBS and Jane HORT/HART - John YOUNG seems to witness quite a few marriages.

Penelope HALLECK - her mark

Possible:  1841 Census, Stratford Tony, Wiltshire, England
Alderbury Union

Penelope HAYLOCK - aged 65
George HAYLOCK - aged 67

----

George HALECK married Penelope HART/HORT 6 January 1798........ at Bishopstone.

(6 January 1799)  Penelope HART - surname a/o written over quite heavily - had a daughter, Sarah christened at Bishopstone

Assume Jane's sister.

Offline wildcats13

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 15:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your quick responses.
I was aware of the Hort/Hart situation, and searched the Hort's for a possible match without success, and always felt that Hart was correct, as John had Hart written in the Bible.
I knew about the two children that died to John/Susanna, and the mother of Elizabeth was definitely John's sister Mary, and as Mary had died before John/Susanna came to Australia, events here indicated that he was her guardian, as she needed his permission to marry a convict Thomas Smart. He refused at first, but after talks with the church, he gave his permission. It only lasted a short time as he died strangely and is not recorded in the NSW death records. She later married a local farmer Peter Naylor. Local records showed she was Elizabeth Meaton Gibbs, but her death record showed her father's name was Maton or Matton.
I have all the details regarding John's sister Mary's marriage to Joseph Read with their daughter Sarah, and Joseph's marriage to Elizabeth Mitchell. Sarah was Baptised in St John the Baptist Church, Bishopstone on 3 April 1831, and died and was buried on 17 July 1847 at St John the Baptist, Bishopstone.
Didn't know the connection about Penelope Hart, I think with dates shown, she may have been Jane's sister as you suggest.

My main concern is the accuracy of the details I provided for the three Gibbs generations prior to James & Jane Gibbs, namely; Daniel Gibbs/Ann Barnett - John Gibbs/Mary Tucker & John Gibbs/Sarah Nightingale. I believe I am about 90% correct, but it is very difficult going through the Parish Registers for those early times, and marrying them together, without having some doubts.
Hoping you may find something that will confirm a positive outcome.
Thanks again, Peter

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 17:01 BST (UK) »
Being Wiltshire born and bred (parents also)  we don't sound the 'H' at the beginning of a word and so would say 'art' - e.g. 'ouse' for House, etc.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 13:58 BST (UK) »
Bookmarking for when I have time to go over the list properly :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)