Author Topic: Emigration  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
Emigration
« on: Tuesday 28 July 20 15:47 BST (UK) »
According to the 1900 US census, Margaret Freeman (nee Fleming) was born in Ireland in 1862 and emigrated to the US in 1871.  Mary, the eldest child of Daniel (died 1897 US) and Margaret Freeman was born in Liverpool in 1881 and emigrated to the US in 1888.  John, their second child was born in Liverpool in 1882 and emigrated to the US in 1883.   Patrick, their third child was born in the US in 1884.

I am reasonably confident that the above is correct, but it doesn't make logical sense or does it?  Suggestions please.

Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 15:55 BST (UK) »
It wasn't unheard of for people/families to go to America, return to Britain then go back to America so you'll need to check other records (it's not uncommon to find errors in census records or any others for that matter.)
When & where did Margaret Fleming & Daniel Freeman marry?
When & where did Margaret Freeman die? if she was in 1910-1920 census there should be a year she arrived in U.S. recorded.
The immigration dates for the children (1888, 1883 & 1884) aren't that far off each other- have you looked for passenger manifest for family arriving in U.S.?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 16:10 BST (UK) »
It saves us a lot of time and trouble if you post links or give details of the information you've already found.
Is this Margaret & children in 1900 census?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M38B-9D4
Original image says Margaret born Aug.1861 and there's a 4th child Lizzia born 1886.

If you follow son John in later records you might find a wide range of dates he was supposed to have arrived in U.S.

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't know where Daniel and Margaret married and I don't have access to passenger manifests.  Yes, that is Margaret and the children in the 1900 census, but the link was new to me as well.  Son John is consistent in saying that he arrived in America in 1883.
I wasn't asking for help with specifics particularly and outlined the info I have found, more looking for thoughts on why Margaret would have returned as a teenager and how common that was.

Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 10:24 BST (UK) »
My great-grandmother (born only a few years before your Margaret) was sent to New York when she was about 19. Two brothers & 3 sisters also went out in various stages. One brother & the 3 sisters returned to Ireland. The family were very well educated and fairly well off.
Family Search have lots of databases & you may find passenger manifest there but unfortunately will probably only list little more than names, ages and country of origin. Find My Past and Ancestry have passenger lists for those leaving U.K. but only start at 1860. If the family ended up in St. Louis it;s possible they went first to Canada then entered U.S.

You haven't answered the questions I asked earlier as it might be possible to discover if the details in the 1900 census are correct so will leave it up to you to search further.

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 11:31 BST (UK) »
Margaret Freeman (nee Fleming) died in June 1916 in St Louis.  Death cert has dob 14/8/1862.  No info re how long in the US

I don't have the 1910 census

Hopefully that answers all your questions

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 12:31 BST (UK) »
St. Louis Post-Dispatch St. Louis, Missouri  -no clues as to immigration.
14 Mar 1916, Tue   Page 18

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/56296412/margaret-freman-nee-fleming-14-march/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 13:58 BST (UK) »
St Louis, Missouri, City Directory, 1913 - Margaret Freeman - wid Daniel - r  520 E Marceau

St Louis, Missouri, City Directory, 1910 - Margaret Freeman - wid Daniel - r 520 E Marceau
Patrick Freeman is at the same address.

Peculiar that Margaret doesn't show on the image in 1910

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 14:06 BST (UK) »

Patrick Freeman - Obit/Death Notice - no clues to immigration.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch St. Louis, Missouri 24 May 1917, Thu   Page 24

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/56298477/obituary-for-krkeman-as-transcribed/

FIND A GRAVE

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/186755588

Sandra