Author Topic: Hannah Evans, born ca. 1858, Swansea  (Read 388 times)

Offline DNA_of_a_Turnip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hannah Evans, born ca. 1858, Swansea
« on: Tuesday 28 July 20 16:20 BST (UK) »
I'm looking to trace my great-grandmother. I'm usually pretty good at this sort of thing, but she's surprisingly difficult.

Her name was, as far as anyone can tell, Hannah Maria Evans - although I'm sure there are many possible variants on that. She was born in Swansea, around 1858.

I believe her death record is Q1 1948, where she is listed as "Maira Murray", age 90.

The 1939 Register has her widowed, living as a boarder with two Jones brothers, one of whom is believed to be her widowed son-in-law. Her name is "Anna M Murray" and her DoB is given as 12.12.1858, which would have made her 89 in Q1 1948.

The 1911 and 1901 censuses have her as "Hannah Murray." 1891 has her as "Elizabeth" Murray, for some reason, but her children, husband, age, location of birth, and the area where she was living all match.

She married my great-grandfather in 1882, as Hannah. We have the marriage certificate, and her father is given as William Evans, deceased, mariner. In the 1881 census, she is a barmaid at the Burrows Queens Hotel, Swansea, and Lily Perrott, the owner's daughter, was a witness at her wedding.

So we know a fair amount about her. In 1871, Hannah Evans, aged 13 (she would have been 12) is a servant in the Challacombe household in Swansea - a possible, but not certain match. I don't have an 1861 census, however, and there are no obvious matches.

There is a Daniel Evans, a ship's carpenter, in Swansea, with a 2-year-old daughter, Mary Ann. There was also a sailor from Swansea called William Evans, who would have been the right age, and who appears to have absconded to Nova Scotia around 1869.

I don't have a birth or death certificate, yet.

I'd love to know who Hannah's parents were, and to help to narrow down the right birth certificate. Any further suggestions?
Murray (Wales/Co. Cork); Doyle (Co. Limerick); Llewellyn (Pembs/Pt. Talbot); Griffin (Co. Limerick/Tipperary); Evans (Somerset); Jones (Glam/Pembs); Evans (Swansea); Charles (Pembs); Baker (Somerset); Wallace (Limerick); Howells (Neath/Swansea)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Evans, born ca. 1858, Swansea
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 18:57 BST (UK) »
I don`t know if you`ve tried FreeReg.

A search for **** Evans in Swansea between 1857 and 1859 brings up a few names, but not an Hannah, however, there is an Elizabeth,  bapt. 16th August 1857 father John, mother Mary. May be not who you`re looking for. Dates are also not a match.

Thinking about the 1861 census, going by the 1939 dob her true age would have been 2, but could be listed as 3. Is it possible that she was living with another family and was misnamed ?

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hannah Maria Evans born M Q 1859, Swansea, MMN Griffiths

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:26R9-RJS

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 19:14 BST (UK) »
1861 census

William Evans 39 carpenter  b. Llansamlet
Mary Evans wife 26            b. Cadoxton,Neath.
Henry  Evans son 11       b. Llansamlet
Mary Evans dau. 8          b.       ditto
Hannah Evans     2          b. Cadoxton.

Just somethng to consider.

Well done Kloumann, I couldn`t find that when I looked on FS. !!

Offline DNA_of_a_Turnip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 19:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Billy.

By 1881, that Hannah was married to a Mr. Maiden but helpfully still living with her mother, so we can rule her out.

Likewise, the Q1 Hannah Maria Evans may be Hannah Maria(h) Evans of Morriston, born to David and Mary. Their eldest child was eight in 1861, which would tie in with the marriage of David Evans and Mary Griffiths in Swansea in 1852 (the only David Evans/Griffiths marriage) although these are all common enough names that there is nothing to prove it. This woman is not her; she is a dressmaker in Loughor by 1881.

(There are no strong candidates for a William Evans/Griffiths marriage in the second half of the 1850s; there are a couple from the 1840s and 1 from 1852, plus of course the marriage, if any, could have been elsewhere).

At the moment I'm thinking it's likely she was with another family while her father was away at sea; she may well have been illegitimate, he may or may not have been in her life, his name may not have been William, and her legal name may not even have been Hannah Evans. There are a couple of Hannahs of the right age, wrong surname, with no fathers in the household in Swansea, so I guess the next step is to investigate them.
Murray (Wales/Co. Cork); Doyle (Co. Limerick); Llewellyn (Pembs/Pt. Talbot); Griffin (Co. Limerick/Tipperary); Evans (Somerset); Jones (Glam/Pembs); Evans (Swansea); Charles (Pembs); Baker (Somerset); Wallace (Limerick); Howells (Neath/Swansea)

Offline DNA_of_a_Turnip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hannah Maria Evans born M Q 1859, Swansea, MMN Griffiths

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:26R9-RJS

Thanks. How did you get the mother's maiden name from that, if you don't mind my asking?

(Although I am considering whether this person might be a different Hannah Evans).

Offline DNA_of_a_Turnip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 July 20 12:12 BST (UK) »
I've now looked at all the Hannahs born 1859 in Swansea, who were living with their mothers (but not their fathers). There are three, and all can be located on the 1881 census without difficulty, meaning that my great-grandmother wasn't one of those.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 July 20 12:17 BST (UK) »
Answer to reply no.5

I got it from the GRO website

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp