Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 28th July  (Read 687 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 28th July
« on: Tuesday 28 July 20 22:37 BST (UK) »
This is getting to be a habit now but I'm going for a bath so here we are  :D :

Couldn't get to sleep last night, I don't know why. It must have been some time after 2 am when I dropped off and as a result slept quite late. Phone call from a friend that lasted a while. After that I texted my friend J about arranging for a walk this week, we'd agreed yesterday that we wouldn't go in the wet but would see what it was like today. Arranged to meet after she finishes work, at least her working at home means she doesn't have a journey home so she's ready shortly after her finish time.

Still wanted my usual walk, felt like I needed to get out. A bright day, quite a lot of cloud but windy and quite cool. Didn't walk too far as I would be having a long walk later, the wind had made me quite breathless by the time I got home.

Had some lunch then did a number of boring things like cleaning the grill pan (no idea how it gets so dirty when I don't grill meat) wiping down cupboard fronts, pouring soda crystals and boiling water down the outside drain and from the kitchen sink. What a glamorous life I lead!
Emailed a photo to my art teacher of my latest alterations to my picture, hope she declares it finished soon. We always joke in class that it's difficult to get her to say the F word (Finished)! Did the rest of the ironing and put it away then had another phone call. It's a feast or a famine around here!

Off to meet my friend J, it was still windy, not too bad walking initially through some streets then woodland but when we emerged onto the coast road the wind got quite exhausting, we were glad to turn off further along. Really enjoyed it as always.

Back home, put the bin out, tea and telly. Hope the weather is calmer tomorrow, more conducive to gardening. Hope it's been a good day for everyone.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 28th July
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 00:57 BST (UK) »
I will get there first one of these fine days... but don't write it up until I go to bed ..
You've had a busy day today with all this cleaning... you can come and do mine if you like 😃Never my favourite job... still needs doing some time this week.. if I can fit it in..
Hope your art teacher gives you the 'F' word then so you can get on to the next project..
Great to hear you met up with your friend even if you did nearly get blown away!

My day

Read quite late.. one of Phaedra Patrick's books... I borrowed from the library ebook after you mentioned her books previously... it's light reading and enjoyable...
Woke at reasonable time got washing on the line as had set the machine last night... breakfast whilst eating that I did the cream cheese and lime topping for courgette cake
Got another load into washer ...
Had shower couldn't decide what to wear as weather was sunny one minute, cloudy the next and quite windy...
chose 3/4 sleeve drsss that's in a soft jersey stretch maroon white strip with square neck and below the knee a line style, put on a cardi and took a body warmer just in case..... and the cake!
Joined other two neighbours... it was very variable sun warm when it came out and chilly under the cloud...
Cake went down well and asked them both to take some extra as I can't eat it all... OH doesn't like courgette... could freeze it but can make it dry ...
We enjoyed our weekly get together and it was almost 1pm when we left!
One neighbour off to Brittany on Saturday, driving going on ferry to St Malo overnight so booked a cabin. Gite in middle of nowhere with a swimming pool... they're hoping that Boris doesn't decide people going to France will have to quarantine... although as she's retired and he's a senior BA pilot on the A380's which are furloughed in France ( the planes that is) until who knows when long haul will resume if they had to do 14 days when they got back it wouldn't be a problem...
OH dashing about as realised he'd left it a bit tight to shower, eat lunch and get to the golf club .... too busy doing his jigsaw... he had a relaxing morning as had a bad night woke up in the night and had to take an extra pill.. thank goodness he's going on Wednesday next week to the hospital...
Once I'd had my lunch I went up to sew.. . made a note of my times... like clocking in to work!
Got another 21 finished and a further 25 half made... called it a day then...
Cooked a gammon joint... not sure what time he'd be back but guessed about 7pm.... better game today so not giving up this week... club bar closed again so they couldn't get a drink... golf pro told them to complain by email to club secretary, he's been telling everyone to do that apparently!
 we had the gammon  with new pots and vegs.
Watched Devon & Cornwall recorded from yesterday... its a charming  programme and we've enjoyed seeing lots of places we know..
Two episodes of Perry Mason , it's improving..
Both quite tired so off to bed...

Looks like weather going to be better tomorrow, bit warmer and less windy which is great as have a friend coming for coffee... not seen her since before lockdown and we used yo meet up regularly.... looking forward to it... can get rid of more cake too as now have both lemon drizzle and courgette!

Hope everyone else had a good day despite the weather !

Carolinr
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 02:42 BST (UK) »
Another dull day and very windy.   Slept well but not too happy when I opened the curtains to find that - wind made it feel quite chilly.

Did some tidying and cleaning in the kitchen but not up to Roobarb's standards!   However, I did accomplish something today - I finally got round to colouring my hair (which was way overdue).  After haircut 2 weeks ago and now the colour done I feel and look more like myself again.

Jigsaw was consigned to the bin and during the evening I started another.   Just done the edge so far but all the pieces there which is a good start (unlike the last one).   Also watched Long Lost Family on catch up - Simon's relationship with his older siblings is wonderful, but Fi's relationship with her brother seems strained somehow.   Clearly the brother who was with his mother didn't have a good life and was never acknowledged by the father.   A real strange set up that one, that's for sure.   When the brother said he's never had hugs/kisses from his mother, that she was a hard woman,  it made me think of my Dad.   He was the 8th of 9 children and told us he could never remember a hug or cuddle with his Mum.  She was never a touchy feely grandma, in her eyes grandchildren should be seen and not heard!   My Mum used to visit for the day and one day she popped to the shops leaving 3 year old me with her.   When she got back it was to find me tied into an upside down stool and when Mum asked why she told her because I kept rattling the brass knob on the kitchen door and it was driving her mad!   I don't remember cuddles with her either, indeed nor do any of my cousins.   When we were in our early teens my cousin Ann and I (just 7 months apart) were sent in school holidays to Nanna's for a day each week where we had to clean the kitchen.   Ann had the cooker, I had everything else.   I can remember now that kitchen always seemed to smell of cabbage. 

Cumberland Pie with vegetables tonight, followed by strawberry jelly and custard.   

Now to bed to read a bit on my tablet. 

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 08:24 BST (UK) »
A much brighter start morning. Up early as H gave an early home tuition session, the first time since February!  Did 3 rounds of Salute to the Sun to ease my back which has been giving me some trouble lately.... I used to do that resolutely every day, but have got rather lazy.  Silly since it certainly isn't due a lack of time!  Perhaps the exact opposite, (given I have all the time in the world,) then sent out a few encouraging ecards to people that I know are struggling a bit.
Intrigued by Caroline's post, I checked out a theatre card video... remarkable.
Went off to meet up for the coffee date postponed from the day before.  Bought coffee from an outside cafe close to the beach to chat, but so many people around. One woman marched up and interrupted a sentence to ask if we were just leaving as she wanted to sit there!  A man didn't even ask, just sat down!
A long video chat with a friend in the frozen North, so I didn't get lunch till after 3.
Able to read on the balcony for a while during the afternoon.
Walked around the lakes after tea.
Watched a Poirot on TV.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 08:34 BST (UK) »
What a shame you have such sad memories of your grand mother Annette. Hope you and your cousin had some laughs even so.  :'(
Sounds like Roobarb and Caroline had good and productive days around seeing some company which is marvellous. This is our new normal, and we have to make it the best we can.....
Speaking of which, I forgot to say that yesterday I called in to the cafe where our monthly Gransnet meeting used to be, and asked if the owner could reserve us an outside table, which he was glad to do.  Business is disastrous, :(  and he will be so happy to have a little trade.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 11:31 BST (UK) »
mowsehowse - not really sad memories of my grandmother for my cousins and I - we just accepted her the way she was.   She had an odd sense of humour too and had some strange expressions which we thought hilarious.  We used to tease her a lot when we were older just to get a reaction.   My Dad was a very 'close' man but had his mothers sense of humour.   He must have been around 60 when he suddenly opened up one day about having no memories of ever being hugged by his mother.   I was sad for him and Monday's LLF programme just brought it home again.

One lasting memory I have of her is her reaction to the mini-skirt - she was absolutely horrified that our parents let us girls wear them.   We have many amusing family tales, believe me.

Annette     
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 15:17 BST (UK) »
Working yesterday and today.  Not feeling great, feeling dizzy when I stood up, my blood pressure was a bit off when I checked.  Hadn't eaten that well either tbh. 

Weather was a bit windy today but forecast to improve towards the end of the week, fx.  Was certainly dry and brighter when I left work.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 18:20 BST (UK) »
Finished a 12 hour nightshift and called at a metro station on my way home to buy another monthly travel pass.  I used to buy my passes from the travel office but these have been closed since lockdown and there is no sign of reopening.  I know I am old fashioned but I much prefer buying my pass from a person rather than a machine.  Even though it hasn't happened I worry about the machine malfunctioning so I always tend to hold my breath until my pass pops out. 

I return to work in the evening for a later start.  On the first bus I see most passengers are wearing masks but one girl  is holding hers in her hand.  She is sitting next to another girl chatting and doesn't appear to fit any exemption categories such as breathing difficulties or disability.  When she gets up to get off she puts her mask on briefly to walk past the driver.  Clearly, she hadn't read or wasn't bothered about the new notices informing people to keep coverings on
for the 'entire journey'.

Later at the Haymarket bus station at 2130 I experience a bit of panic when another bus has broken down and has to be towed away by a huge lorry.  This lorry blocks my second bus from leaving.  I know this can't can't be helped and is no one's fault but I can't help panicking a bit and saying to my driver "Oh no! This is going to make me late for my nightshift".  The driver did have a nice sympathetic approach and promises me that we will be on our way as soon as the tow lorry has gone.  When I reached my destination I removed my mask and ran like mad and fortunately was still able to get there on time.  Very out of breath though.  And just when I thought my running days were happily over.  ::)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 21:44 BST (UK) »
Caroline, I hate cleaning! I do it because I don't like the house to be dirty but I can think of a million things I'd rather do. Wiping down cupboards doesn't feature very often!
Good to hear you had an enjoyable time with neighbours, the dress sounds lovely.

Annette, I felt sorry for Fi on Long Lost Family when she met up with her brother, he seemed rather harsh towards her. I can understand his resentment but his being a bit cold towards Fi seemed to be perpetuating that. What a shame that your grandmother was that way too, I suppose her generation were told that by their parents children should be seen but not heard. Absolutely no excuse for tying you up, that's dreadful. I'm surprised you weren't screaming the place down! It obviously did no lasting damage if you were later able to have a joke about her.

Mowsehowse, how infuriating that people thought it okay to invade your space, annoying in normal times but twice as bad now. Hope the other cafe owner gets some extra business as a result of your booking - Rentacrowd!

PharmaT, I'm sure you don't need any of us to tell you that not eating properly isn't good for you, I hope your writing it down has jogged you into doing something about it and you're feeling better.

RTL, your journeys to work seem to be becoming increasingly stressful, a bit like Planes, Trains and Automobiles but without the humour. You'll be fit for next year's Great North Run at this rate! Hope tonight's journey is better.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales