Author Topic: Check your findings with original documents  (Read 369 times)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Check your findings with original documents
« on: Wednesday 29 July 20 10:28 BST (UK) »
Great advice, but doesn’t always help when it looks likely that the original record has errors:-)

1891 census McKeon family (Ancestry transcription says McKern), Lowell Street, Walton on the Hill, Liverpool
P2977, F111, Pg17  Dad: William, Mum: Margaret,  Children: Edward C, William J, Annie C.
 I have RC baptism records for the younger two children but have failed to find one for Edward Charles (born 1885). Usually RC families had children baptised very soon after birth so its odd I can’t find it.
Birth cert says
born 28 Aug 1885, at 31 Anderson St, parents William and Margaret (nee Thompson), father occ: Ship steward.

Searched RC baptisms in Liverpool again with just a surname and parents’ names as William McKeon and Margaret Thompson (as RC baptisms usually included MMN)
and found this:
St Anthony’s RC
baptism entry 2862
McKeon , 31 Anderson St
born 5th Sep 1885, baptised 8th Sep 1885
Margaret, daughter of William & Margaret McKeon (nee Thompson)

No birth registration exists for a child of this name and year of birth.

Only conclusion I can come to is that the priest (as they did) wrote the register up later - and has put the Mum’s name down as the baby’s name too and the birth date doesn't match the birth cert, though address and parent's names are a match.

Unless anyone can find something that shows I am straw clutching?

Boo

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Check your findings with original documents
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 10:48 BST (UK) »
Well it’s clearly the same family from what you say.

The most likely scenario is, as you say, that the priest’s notes were a mess and errors crept into the writing up of the register.

A less likely but still possible scenario is that there was some ambiguity about the child’s sex at birth. What was the date of the birth registration?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Check your findings with original documents
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 11:04 BST (UK) »
The birth was registered on 8th Oct 1885 by the mother.

Going on other RC births/ baptisms I have, the main focus was the baptism which usually was within a week of birth. 
Civil registration took second place, often many weeks after the baptism, so 5 weeks till civil registration was done is fairly common.

Boo