Author Topic: Could a lay preacher marry people in the 1880's  (Read 607 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Could a lay preacher marry people in the 1880's
« on: Wednesday 29 July 20 15:07 BST (UK) »
Could a lay minister marry people in the 1880's.

I ask this as I have a person Sarah Jane Minto whose father was a Wesleyan (Methodist) lay preacher. As i can not find a marriage record for her I was wondering of her father could he have married her but it not be recorded properly? I have looked it up online but could not find anything that answered it clearly.

Appreciate any thoughts

This is the related thread

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=833993.msg7001881#msg7001881
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline antiquesam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Could a lay preacher marry people in the 1880's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 15:18 BST (UK) »
I think that a marriage could only take place in a C of E Church. A ceremony in any other place of worship had to be confirmed at the local Registry Office.
Coomber, Scrimgeour, Shiel, Thiel,

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 15:26 BST (UK) »
I think that a marriage could only take place in a C of E Church. A ceremony in any other place of worship had to be confirmed at the local Registry Office.

No, a marriage could take place at a non-conformist church but a registrar had to attend.
I am looking at the certificate of such a marriage right now, which took place in a Wesleyan Methodist Church in 1873. The certificate was signed by the Wesleyan Minister and the Registrar.

I'm doubtful though that a lay preacher could perform a marriage  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 15:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. Yes I am of the opinion that he did not marry them but I could not find anything online that would give a definitive answer. Also its clutching at straws time as the couple seem to disappear after being mentioned in the 1885 will.

Still at least they not a direct ancestor just a loose end I was  trying to sort out.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 July 20 16:28 BST (UK) »
A LAY preacher is not a fully ordained minister, surely - and at that date non-conformist chapels had to have a registrar to make the marriage legal. Many non-conformist chapels still are not licensed for marriage - I know one person who was very keen to be married in his local one, and had to go through lots of hoops about 30 years back, to get it licensed so he could be married there,( incidentally by a C of E clergyman, also a relation).
I'd assume a lay preacher could bless a marriage, but that'd be about it, I think, especially then.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 July 20 17:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. I was clutching at straws asking the question not being able to find a marriage for the couple and not being able to find a definitive answer online re my query either

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 July 20 17:47 BST (UK) »
I think he could probably marry one person.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 July 20 17:50 BST (UK) »
I think he could probably marry one person.

Thanks but i am not sure what you mean by that  ???

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 August 20 16:51 BST (UK) »
"Marry one person" -be united in marriage with a wife /spouse.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)