Author Topic: Windows 10 Update Problem  (Read 3283 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Update Problem
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 July 20 11:33 BST (UK) »
The point is, the IT man said that Windows built in anti-virus etc. is now so good that people don't need to buy Norton, or any other similar programmes.  So save your money folks for something else.

Yes, Windows Defender is probably equivalent to most of the paid antivirus products.

It also has the advantage that its writers have privileged access to the internal workings of Windows, so may be better placed to spot & remove malware.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 31 July 20 12:46 BST (UK) »
Already using the in house virus software. No problems yet!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

guest189040

« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 July 20 13:17 BST (UK) »
As suggested, move over to another Mail App.

I have used Thunderbird for years, it is produced by Mozilla who make the browser Firefox.

Your ISP should have simple instructions on how to set up a Mail App.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 August 20 12:53 BST (UK) »
I am no good at all the Technical Stuff, but anyway I am on Windows 10, and I keep getting prompts to Update.    I am wary of doing any Windows Updates at the moment, because they seem to be more trouble than they are worth, according to a Windows 10 Forum I saw.     Anyway, the Update prompt says this  ...

Windows 10 version 2004  Pending Start.    2020-07  Cummulative Update Preview for .net Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 version 1909 for x 64 (KB456900)   Status: Install  error
Retry [in blue]   

2021-01  Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 x 64 based Systems (KB4497165)   and again the Retry, prompt is in blue.

Schedule the Restart - Restart now.

As I say, I am wary about clicking any of these prompts at the moment.     My computer is giving me problems, but I don't want to make it any worse. 

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 August 20 13:41 BST (UK) »

The software now says . . . . . .
Thunderbird is no longer funded by Mozilla. [ although they collect the/any donations ]

Fortunately there is an active community keeping it running and developing it further. But to survive long term, the project needs funding.   Thunderbird’s funding goes toward the significant infrastructure and staff that must be maintained to deliver the application to our tens of millions of users. For Thunderbird to survive and continue to evolve, we need your support and ask for your donation today. All the money donated will go directly to funding Thunderbird development and infrastructure.
Donate to Thunderbird
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 August 20 16:43 BST (UK) »
I am no good at all the Technical Stuff, but anyway I am on Windows 10, and I keep getting prompts to Update.    I am wary of doing any Windows Updates at the moment, because they seem to be more trouble than they are worth, according to a Windows 10 Forum I saw.     Anyway, the Update prompt says this  ...

Windows 10 version 2004  Pending Start.    2020-07  Cummulative Update Preview for .net Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 version 1909 for x 64 (KB456900)   Status: Install  error
Retry [in blue]   

2021-01  Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 x 64 based Systems (KB4497165)   and again the Retry, prompt is in blue.

Schedule the Restart - Restart now.

As I say, I am wary about clicking any of these prompts at the moment.     My computer is giving me problems, but I don't want to make it any worse. 

The messages tell you that the updates have already gone through phase one of their installations, but you need to restart your machine to complete the process.

It is extremely unlikely that you will have any trouble with the 1909 updates, so restart when convenient.

The other one is, more major, update, to release 2004 (month 4 of 2020). That is the one which will take a fair amount of time to install.

There may be some who are not being offered that one yet. If so there may be some twiddly bit which Microsoft thinks might cause problems. My aunt's machine was in that state until recently. When I had tried to force it through earlier It claimed there was a problem with its "settings" (but refused to say what). Later patches opened the floodgates, but because it has a VERY small drive, it needed my manual intervention to actually get the update done.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 August 20 11:40 BST (UK) »
    I am not going to install the 2004 version.     I have put a "pause" on Windows updates meanwhile

The pause only lasts till the 18th, but I will keep pressing the pause button until Microsoft come up with a better version.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 August 20 19:48 BST (UK) »
I "think" the pause will then be automatically overridden unless you have the £200+ Pro version of the system
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 10 August 20 22:37 BST (UK) »
Last week I bought a Lenovo Ideapad small laptop and traded in my Android Tablet. It was pre-loaded with Windows 10 S, which denotes ' Safe ' but that stops you downloading anything unless it comes from Microsoft Store ( getting as bad as Google Playstore and Apple's ) but I Upgraded (free) to Windows 10 2004 version and have successfully downloaded GIMP for Photo workas well as Lenovo's VANTAGE which manages updates for drivers etc!
I too scoured the forums to check before I made the changes and the balance of opinions was to make the change to Win 10. The Safety on the Internet is so much better than before and I have no Anti-Virus app, not needed.
The Computer Active magazine of January 15-28th 2020 (Issue 571) has several articles related to improving your computer with Windows 10 and Free apps which further improve it.
If you used Win 7 and miss your usual features you can find them hidden inside Win 10 and the articles describe in detail how to restore them.
Happy hunting!
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.