Author Topic: Needles in a haystack - looking for John and James Wilkie  (Read 770 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Needles in a haystack - looking for John and James Wilkie
« on: Wednesday 29 July 20 21:50 BST (UK) »
James Wilkie was born in Glasgow on 4 November 1826 and baptised the next day at St Andrew's RC, Glasgow.

He was the fourth son and fifth child of James Wilkie, weaver, bookseller and Chelsea pensioner, and Bridget Driscoll.

James was with his parents and siblings in Airdrie in 1841, but I have not found him in 1851 or later. His mother died between the census and 1843, when her widower remarried. James Sr died in 1864.

Their eldest son was John, who was a cotton hand loom weaver, aged 26, in 1841.

Has anyone come across John and/or James Wilkie anywhere?

I have some information about the other siblings. The younger daughter of the first marriage and the two surviving daughters of the second marriage all emigrated to Chicago in the United States of America. The second son, Peter, married Elizabeth McGhee and had twin daughters in Scotland, and then disappears so he too may have emigrated. The other brother, George, and sister, Agnes, remained in Scotland.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Needles in a haystack - looking for John and James Wilkie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 July 20 11:27 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is John’s Marriage?

WILKIE   JOHN   BROWN   BRIDGET   1/6/1843   Airdrie, St Margaret's

There is a possible 1851 census for the above in Old Monkland & 1861 census in Springburn, Glasgow. Eldest son James but John is noted as a Labourer on both?

It looks like a Peter married there in 1848?

Both of the above are on freecen in Lanarks 1851 + George but no trace of James.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 July 20 19:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks, ColC. You are probably right, and I certainly shouldn't have missed that. Great what a new pair of eyes can see :)

Bridget Brown or Wilkie died in 1866 in Glasgow, and I can't find any of her family in 1871 or later.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 July 20 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi both  :)

This John Wilkie and Bridget Brown might be the couple on this link www.ancestry.co.uk/genealogy/records/john-wilkie-24-11m1xkn?geo_a=r&o_iid=41016&o_lid=41016&o_sc

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 July 20 22:15 BST (UK) »
The RC parish Register has John Wilkie m Bridget Brown  by Alex Smith (priest?)
1 June 1843 after Proclamation witnessed by Peter McKay and Jessie? Thomson
Airdrie St Margaret Motherwell Diocese

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 July 20 22:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Monica and deebel.

So the John Wilkie who married Bridget Brown isn't my missing one. Back to square one.

(or isn't he? .... John died in Barnhill poor house, and his late wife's name is not stated. His death certificate gives his father's name as Allan Wilkie, not James as shown on the family tree found by Monica, and the death was registered by the assistant governor of the poor house.)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 July 20 22:59 BST (UK) »
Question...who is wife #2?

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 July 20 09:19 BST (UK) »
Wife #2 is Esther O'Neill, widow of Daniel C*n*ch*n (consistency of spelling was not a strong point). She was born in New Monkland, aged 25 in the 1841 census, married James Wilkie in 1843, aged 38 in 1851, and died before 1855, all in New Monkland.

There were 3 daughters, Teresa, Jessie and Esther. Jessie apparently died in early childhood, and Teresa and Esther jr emigrated to Chicago, with their half-sister Bridget and her husband Henry Rogers. Teresa and Esther jr both died unmarried. I don't have any information about Henry and Bridget after 1870. 

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 July 20 17:33 BST (UK) »
I've been looking around for James. 

I see nothing in 1851 except for the one who claims he was b in Dumbarton residing in Cambusnethan with his wife and sons John and James.

Definitely no death 1855 > b 1826 +/- 1 yr.

Also no birth of Bridget father James.

There are 5 singles who emigrated (N.A.) immigration show 8 but at least 3 seem to be duplicate or cross border. He could be one of these.

Finally, he may have died with his Mother but of course you have looked for the burial and kirk records of NM 1841-51 and associated Catholic registers/burials in Glasgow.  And, you did check James Sr's resting place to see if they lay there.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.